Heating Oil

Matt Carlton

6 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

What has always grated me is that if I were to start a business and collude with a neighbouring business to control, the price then I would be prosecuted under the law as running a "cartel" ! However its fine for our governments to allow  oil companies to colude to control oil prices as in "OPEC". 

I'm afraid they don't have a choice. Big international corporations are way above domestic law.

As you said, it's down to supply and demand. It always was and always will be the case. Either locally, or worldwide.

Doesn't matter what the commodity is. Beer, balsa, oil, women     :classic_biggrin:

6 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

However its fine for our governments to allow  oil companies to colude to control oil prices as in "OPEC". 

The oil companies do not collude to control prices, but in some countries they get production permits from the governments, so while it may look like it is "big business" that is controlling the prices it is in fact countries that are in OPEC, which originally came into fruition because they felt the oil companies were selling "their" oil too cheap and hence not enough was going into their coffers.  Much in the same way governments control fishing quotas, which also then affects the price.

• Thanks 1

On 08/03/2022 at 23:13, Matt Carlton said:

That's shocking, if it is bought and paid for, it should be supplied at the price you paid. That's the whole reason why futures markets can be so risky. 

In the end, after receiving robust feedback they delivered the oil today, at the price that we paid. Filling the car up on the way home diesel was £1.6199 a litre.

?

30 minutes ago, Tim Kearsley said:

Costs me about 1.5p/mile to run the Tesla on electrons. ?

1.5p per mile equates to approx 7.5p per kW hour, wow which supplier are you with? I'm currently paying 20p per kW hour and it's soon going up to 27p

Edited by Shaun Walsh

But on the positive side...........................

'Our' fuel hasn't been hit yet! Ordered 8 gallons from good old Weston Uk this week, usual friendly service, rapid free delivery and only marginally more expensive than last year. 

Irrelevent really as our electricty is going up by 1400 in April, can't win!

1 hour ago, Shaun Walsh said:

?

1.5p per mile equates to approx 7.5p per kW hour, wow which supplier are you with? I'm currently paying 20p per kW hour and it's soon going up to 27p

I'm with Octopus Shaun. Their Go tariff gives you a four hour window overnight which is currently 5p per kWh.  Mine is fixed until October when no doubt it will leap up.  I get about 3 to 4 miles per kWh on average. 

Rich, yes, I will enjoy it and I've had no recalls.

Paul, never had a problem with chargers. Tesla's supercharger network is extremely reliable.  Instavolt is good also.  Charging at a supercharger typically takes about 30 minutes, so no hardship. We usually have a coffee and watch a bit of Netflix.

4 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Tesla, nice looking cars.

Enjoy it while you can. How many recalls have you had ?

Now, now no need for that ! ? What happens to oil and gas filters through to the electrons...unless you have a bunch of PV panels.. and decent weather.

Me....I just need more chip fat for my LR defender....?

31 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

Now, now no need for that ! ? What happens to oil and gas filters through to the electrons...unless you have a bunch of PV panels.. and decent weather.

Me....I just need more chip fat for my LR defender....?

I've got the panels and a battery but can't do much about the weather!  Good bit of recycling with the chip fat!

4 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Nearest Tesla to me, over 100 kilometres, petrol station 1 kilometre,,,

I rest my case,,,,?

That's missing the point entirely.  95% of my charging is done at home, which is zero km.  The Tesla has a real-world range of around 270 miles, or 430 km if you prefer, depending obviously on how heavy your right foot is.  So when I do a longer journey I simply plan the route to include, preferably, a Tesla supercharger or,  if that's not convenient, another rapid charger.  The number of chargers is increasing all the time.

No you are missing the point, will my 2.08m Fokker Eindecker 2.10m Stuka 2 field boxes, petrol and Methanol, radio ,ice box ,chair, radio and wife (that's pushing it ? )fit into your 24.000€ car ?.

Ok off to build my Kwik Fly,,,,?

Ps off to pick up our new dog ( doggy for the under 18's ) south of Toulouse tomorrow a round trip of over 1,000 kilometres,

charge time for my Diesel, 2 minutes,,,,?

I'd love to know where you'd get a Tesla Model 3 for 24,000 Euros!  If they're that cheap in France I'll sell mine here and come over and buy two! 

It doesn't matter to me how long it takes to charge the car as it happens while I'm asleep.  It does make me happy to know that it costs me a small fraction of what it does to fill up an internal combustion car. Plus it needs no routine servicing, hardly uses any brake pads and costs me zero road tax.

It carries everything I need to the flying field, which doesn't include petrol or methanol as I only fly electric but does include my 2.05m Spitfire, flight box, Tx, stand etc.  I never take my other half to the field!

• Like 1