RX6R refuses to bind to my Taranis X9d+

Stephen Belshaw

Despite repeated attempts I just cannot get the RX6R to bind, purchased in 2020 but only just got round to needing it so it is for all intents and purposes a new receiver.

I am running Open Tx 2.2.4 original Accst version and have flashed the Rx to be sure of compatibility using RX6_LBT180516.frk

No flashing red LED when the RX is powered up in bind mode, it goes to solid red and green. 

Not sure what, if anything, I am doing wrong as I'm following my normal bind procedure.

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Andy Gates said:

In the top menu, there is a version menu - it is in there - you have said 2.2.4 in your opening post.

Current version is 2.3.14, so it may be that your receiver / transmitter are not using the same protocol.

Try updating your Tx.

That number is the version of OpenTX he is running. It has nothing to do with the entirely separate RF firmware in the module. It is that RF firmware which determines whether or not the TX will bind successfully to a given RX (the firmware on both must be matching).

Edited by MattyB

5 hours ago, Stephen Belshaw said:

Despite repeated attempts I just cannot get the RX6R to bind, purchased in 2020 but only just got round to needing it so it is for all intents and purposes a new receiver.

I am running Open Tx 2.2.4 original Accst version and have flashed the Rx to be sure of compatibility using RX6_LBT180516.frk

No flashing red LED when the RX is powered up in bind mode, it goes to solid red and green. 

Not sure what, if anything, I am doing wrong as I'm following my normal bind procedure.

Any suggestions?

As suggested by @Allan Bennett above, this is almost certainly a firmware mismatch between your internal XJT module and the RX. Flash both units to known matching versions of firmware and try again, it will almost certainly fix it (unfortunately I’m not aware of a way to tell what firmware is actually running on an XJT module; yes you can read the file name in the SD card, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it is the version flashed to the module).

On my Tx  radio setup page 5/9 is "Version", it tells me VERS 2.2.4 which matches my Companion software.

As I understand it the latest receivers are shipped with a newer version of ACCST which is not compatible with 2.2.4 hence the need to flash to an earlier version. Or have I misunderstood?

I flashed RX6R _ACCST_2.1.1_LBT.frk this morning and still no bind.

Mine is x9d+ 2019 for ACCeSS and I am running VERS 2.3.11 which are different to you. I don't know if you can upgrade to 2.3. As I am getting out of my depth and there are hardware differences I am not sure if what I say applies to your Tx.

Oh well I can only try.

Steve

7 minutes ago, Stephen Belshaw said:

I recently bought an X8R from T9 which came with the later version of ACCST so I flashed the Rx back to earlier version using the file X8R_LBT_180322.frk and had no issue binding.

That tells me your module is v1. Following on that says RX6R_LBT180516.frk is the firmware to use. 

RX6R_LBT180516.frk

Steve

• Thanks 1

Get two RF firmwares (TX module and RX) that you know are a matching pair, and flash both. I still would put money that firmware in the RF module (not OTX, that is irrelevant in this instance) are mismatched. Flashing both will prove whether it is a RX hardware issue or a mismatched TX/RX firmware problem. 

EDIT - I've attached what I believe is a matching pair. Give them a try (don't worry about your other RXs for now, you can always flash the TX module back to the previous RF firmware stored on the SD card)...

Matching firmwares to try.zip

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 2

As I feared I am running in to issues trying to update firmware. The files Matty supplied I cannot select, they are ghosted out, so I go to OpenTx website and select the firmware from there. Using Companion I select the download button and I get this:

341232810_Screenshot2022-03-16at11_33_35.png.56b9e69ef83a817f25025be84bd63d14.png

So I then select "yes" because of course I want the firmware, but get this:

1065086992_Screenshot2022-03-16at11_32_37.png.24929d49baaf99083406a336fdec3c13.png

So I'm at a loss as to how to proceed .................

1 hour ago, Stephen Belshaw said:

As I feared I am running in to issues trying to update firmware. The files Matty supplied I cannot select, they are ghosted out, so I go to OpenTx website and select the firmware from there....

Sorry, but you are still making the mistake that there is only one type of firmware in your transmitter, when actually there are two. I will try to explain (using a simplified model to ease understanding - depth experts please don't pick holes in the details/terminology, this is just to get across the concepts)...

Under the skin the transmitter works in two stages, and each stage has different and entirely separate software (also known as firmware) that runs it. The first stage is the OpenTX layer which takes all the inputs from the sticks, switches and pots every 20-30ms and runs them through all the stages you setup on the TX yourself (flight modes, inputs, mixers, switch assignments, servo endpoints, special functions etc). This OpenTX firmware is what you are trying to download via Companion in your post above.

So what happens then? At the end of each cycle of calculations by the OpenTX software, it outputs a signal "packet" to the relevent radio frequency (RF) module (either the one installed in the RF bay or the internal XJT module built into the transmitter itself - this can be selected in the model setup). The packet includes the specific instructions on where each channel output should be for that cycle. The RF module takes this information and encodes it into the ACCST protocol that is then transmitted by the module and understood by the receiver. Which  version of ACCST is used depends on which version of the RF module firmware (entirely separate to OpenTX!) is installed in the module. The versions of ACCST used by the RF module and receiver must match in order that the signal is understood. Once it's done that it moves on and encodes the next packet, etc etc.

Having established a core understanding of the TX architecture, here is what you need to do next to identify where your issue lies:

• Download the two files attached to this message to your PC (they are no longer in a Zip file, so extracting them from there is one step avoided)
  • Follow this video to put the RX6R firmware - attachment 1 - onto your TX and flash it via a lead connected to the pins of your TX (or you can also update them via your PC with the right dongles etc, I've just always used the TX method):

• Follow this video to put the XJT module firmware - attachment 2 - onto the TX SD card and then flash it to the internal XJT that is embedded in your transmitter:

(Alternatively if you prefer to follow written instructions these are good - just remember you are flashing an internal module rather than and external one in the module bay as he is doing in the pictures)

• Bind the receiver as per instructions and and check it works. If it does it proves it was a firmware mismatch between the RX and TX, if not you need to return the receiver as faulty.

Final point... Remember that if you want to be able to seamlessly move between all your D16 ACCST receivers in future you will have to update all those RXs with appropriate receiver firmware from the Frsky site that matches the XJT module firmware you have just installed. Yes it's a short term pain, but it's the only option if you don't you will be forced to reflash your TX module every time you fly want to fly that RX6R receiver, and then flash it back afterwards (doable I suppose, but not somethng I'd want to be executing forever!).

If you have problems please send a PM and I can talk it over with you there or on the phone if needed, but the videos should be self explanatory now you understand the fundamental architecture of your transmitter.

RX6R_ACCST_2.1.1_LBT.frk XJT_ACCST_2.1.0_LBT.frk

Edited by MattyB
  • Thanks 2