RX6R refuses to bind to my Taranis X9d+

Stephen Belshaw

From FrSky website downloads the legacy firmware for the x9d+ is XJT-Ver170317.zip and there is no ver18 that I could find. The legacy version for the RX6R is RX6R_LBT180516.frk which will not match.  But X8R_LBT_180322.frk worked. What XJT version is on the SD card?

here are the files 

XJT - FrSky - Lets you set the limits (frsky-rc.com)

RX6R - FrSky - Lets you set the limits (frsky-rc.com)

@MattyB already posted these.

Steve

Edited by EarlyBird
Too slow to compete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One addition... If you prefer to consume a video explanation of the differences between OpenTx and RF module firmware, this is a good one. All the fundamentals still hold true, but remember that it is now rather old so things like the OpenTX version numbers he quotes are out of date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stephen, As others have pointed out, but perhaps I can clarify: I believe you are confusing two separate things here.

1) OpenTx (in your case 2.2.4) is the operating system that enables you to program and store models on your transmitter. It has NOTHING to do with:

2) RF firmware, which determines the protocols used by the RF modules in the transmitter and receiver to talk to each other.

There are two basic versions of firmware EU_LBT and non-EU. There are then two sub-divisions of the EU firmware - V1 and V2.1.1.

Now, I have no idea what your radio came with, but if you purchased it after January 2015, it *should* have the EU_LBT firmware, and probably V1. V2.1 was released in March 2020, so if you bought your radio after then, it is quite possible you have V2.1.

As far as I am aware, there is no easy way of checking what firmware you have installed. The easiest, simplest and quickest - and recommended by FrSky - is to update everything to the latest version. Then you know where you are, otherwise you are just guessing with far to many variables!

To upgrade the transmitter, first get the latest version of the firmware - either the ones MattyB has supplied, or from the FrSky website: https://www.frsky-rc.com/taranis-x9d-plus-2/

Copy the transmitter firmware file onto the SD card (firmware folder), then proceed as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFU2nVO7E0U

The receivers can be either upgraded from the transmitter, using a special lead (take care to keep this lead separate from others as the power leads are reversed!) by putting the receiver firmware on the SD card (as above) and then proceeding as shown here: https://youtu.be/IYyD0c8ZDBk

The important bit starts about 5 mins in!

Or you can do it from your computer (assuming you are running windoze): https://youtu.be/nxhZVvAGFTo

I prefer to do it all from the transmitter, as you don't have to mess around with windoze driver (and I don't use windoze anyway!).

It all sounds complicated, but once you've done it once, its dead easy!

Best of luck!

--

Pete

• Thanks 1

Thank you Matt for your detailed explanation, I will go through all of the steps outlined and report back.

As regards the issues outlined in my previous post I have resolved them by deleting OpenTx on my Mac and re-installing, I then downloaded the appropriate firmware (same as in your zip file).

• Like 1

Bingo!

I updated the internal module firmware as supplied by Matt and instant result. Thanks to all who have chipped in, another hard won lesson learnt - I didn't know about the need for updating the XJT module.

I guess now I will have to move on to updating my other receivers (one of which is D8, will that still work) and look forward to flying rather than fiddling with radios!

• Like 5

Re D8 receiver: Yes, it should still work PROVIDED you do NOT tick the EU box if/when you upgrade OpenTx.

Ticking the EU box does not remove the D8 capability (opentx has nothing to do with the RF firmware) but it WILL HIDE the option to select it.

If you could select D8 before, you should still be able to. Just remember this whenever you upgrade OpenTx.

?

--

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stephen Belshaw said:

Bingo!

I updated the internal module firmware as supplied by Matt and instant result. Thanks to all who have chipped in, another hard won lesson learnt - I didn't know about the need for updating the XJT module.

I guess now I will have to move on to updating my other receivers (one of which is D8, will that still work) and look forward to flying rather than fiddling with radios!

Glad to hear it all worked out. Once you know the underlying concepts it is relatively simple and won't cause you issues in future, but it isn't well explained by Frsky in what you get with the TXs and RXs. On the flip side to get the functionality you get from these sets in another brand like Jeti, Spektrum or Futaba would cost vastly more, so you pays your money and all that...

• Thanks 1