working with cast iron

Ernie

Hi all, No I'm  not thinking about a cast iron fun fly, but I do have a wee problem with my woodburning stove, that I'm sure will bring some wise words from all you practical guys.

The door (cast iron and glass) has a hole of around 10mm which was originally threaded, so that the handle could be screwed in. but over the years the thread has stripped, so I need to get a thread into the hole. 

I tried a screw in insert, but the cast iron is too hard for a thread to cut

I tried my very best glues (fusion and real blue araldite), but nothing wants to stick to the iron

SWIMBO is not happy 'you can stick these planes together, why not an easy old door'

I'm grounded till it's fixed

ernie

Hi guys, and a mighty thankyou for all that.  I think it's time for some lateral thinking

I'm not touching welding,    soldering is difficult enough, and I don't have the kit. I can't get adhesives of any type to stick to the iron, and drilling through is too difficult because of the shape of the metal.

magnets, I wonder

anyway, thanks again         ernie

Magnets would probably not compress the seal adequately

Is this a Clearview stove? If so check the thread on the handle latch isn't worn -it is a relatively inexpensive part to replace, keeping the same handle.

The cast iron door itself can be very hard material and the hole/thread can be a sloppy fit even when new if the drill used wanders because it isn't as sharp as it could be. Even good quality drills can wear quite quickly. The standard solution is a replacement door (which is rather expensive.... ). Can you extend/weld the threaded male part off the handle, then it would be long enough that with suitable washers and a double locknut it would solve the problem.

You don't want to prevent future adjustment as a leaking door seal leads to poor control/ runaway, poor combustion, and can leak combustion products into the room in certain circumstances. That lovely scent of burning pine is a sure sign of danger, and CO alarms don't pick it up until it is really quite dangerous.

The hole could be filled with a High nickel content welding rod with a basic arc welder then re drilled and tapped or as previously suggested , filled with brazing rod and re tapped. If your not equipped then a trip to the Forgeron or possibly the Forgeronne ?

Ron I also hate predictive text but try as I may to turn if off it seems to keeps re setting itself !