Aeromodelling on a low budget ?

kevin b

A comment was recently passed by one of the forum members about him knowing people who, through no fault of their own struggle to finance their interest in our hobby.

It got me wondering if there is anything that we can do as individuals, or clubs to help these people.

I know within the clubs we all know members who need assistance sometimes and aeromodellers generally are a generous bunch.

However what about those who can't afford to join clubs, or struggle to get to flying fields and have to make do with what they can locally ?

Maybe we could, as individuals put notices up in local shops/libraries, etc, Asking if anyone is looking for an aeromodelling buddy ?

I am going to do a bit of a PR experiment locally to see what happens.

On a similar note I live in the HG3 area (it's quite large) and am looking for someone who builds small flying models

I am quite a prolific builder of medium size models (40 -60ins span). The result of which is I get a lot of small wood offcuts which pile up over time.

The other club members who build are quite pleased with this, but supply seems to be outstripping demand !

If you can think of someone who will appreciate a few bits please let me know.

I'm sorry, but I will not post. I would prefer to deliver locally.

A very worthy cause, I suppose.  Just beware of people who claim to be short of money but  like to freeload off others and take advantage. I speak from experience with a chap I helped out some years ago. Not a thank you or bottle of beer for running him in my car to the field over several months and giving him a number of useful odds and ends that I no longer needed but were of use to him to get him going. The final straw was lending him a tenner at a show for fuel and never getting the money back.

Edited by Cuban8

I once gave an engine to a man who never took up the hobby and I never got it back but that was no problem, I have more engines than I need and I have been given more stuff by other aeromodellers than I've given away.

it is possible to fly very economically. Second hand two-stroke engines can be bought cheaply and small electric motors are as cheap as chips. FM radios still work and may be had for a song. Building from plans reduces costs and with the greying of the hobby complete airframes may be had at a very reasonable price.

Giving the contents of your "scrap box" away from time to time is a good thing to do I feel, to help out the poorer aeromodellers.

I know I would welcome such a gift.

When in town I use local shops and ask for stuff like the card/foam/card advertising boards that I know will end up in land fill.

A frozen food outlet in town say "no" as it is recycled. Ha ! It goes into the general waste bin !

However, today, I popped into The Works and enquired of the redundant plastic corrugated board advertising they replace from time to time. The girl I asked about this stuff about just after Xmas kept her word.

I brought home 8 sheets....

This cleared the stock room clutter a bit, provided me with usefull model making material, and will be recyclable when the models will no longer fly 

A win win win....

Sadly the local building site has broken up and burnt the thick white foam scrap, dam !

Waste not want not etc...

Moral, be brave and ask. If its a "no", no matter...

Ps, the white plastic yoghurt pot material experiment partially worked, a new experiment to be done to end up with an A4 sheet size involving a "roller" so I can make cowls and similar...

Edited by Rich Griff

16 hours ago, kevin b said:

A comment was recently passed by one of the forum members about him knowing people who, through no fault of their own struggle to finance their interest in our hobby.

It got me wondering if there is anything that we can do as individuals, or clubs to help these people.

I know within the clubs we all know members who need assistance sometimes and aeromodellers generally are a generous bunch.

However what about those who can't afford to join clubs, or struggle to get to flying fields and have to make do with what they can locally ?

Maybe we could, as individuals put notices up in local shops/libraries, etc, Asking if anyone is looking for an aeromodelling buddy ?

I am going to do a bit of a PR experiment locally to see what happens.

On a similar note I live in the HG3 area (it's quite large) and am looking for someone who builds small flying models

I am quite a prolific builder of medium size models (40 -60ins span). The result of which is I get a lot of small wood offcuts which pile up over time.

The other club members who build are quite pleased with this, but supply seems to be outstripping demand !

If you can think of someone who will appreciate a few bits please let me know.

I'm sorry, but I will not post. I would prefer to deliver locally.

Just now, SIMON CRAGG said:

Great idea Kevin, I have been involved in doing similar in our club.

We set up a "Social Member" status at a much reduced rate. (Some members who are on their own etc. just like to sit under our tree / drinking tea / watching the flying / yapping about flying!).

Instigated club fees paid in instalments throughout the year.

Set up a "club shop" in our mobile home, which is fully managed and usually stocked by members who are either giving up or have sadly passed away.

Arrange lifts to the field to members who may have lost their licence due to ill health.

Reduced membership fees for members interested in gliding only.

Always open to new ideas, but we think we are doing the best we can to help members who are not as well off as some.

The only downside, is that we have to watch out for members "pleading poverty", and have come unstuck with one person who has since left the club.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, one source of low cost models/materials is from modellers who are giving up due to age and ill health or have been awarded their own personal wings. 

I suppose it's inevitable given the demographic of the hobby but it's always sad to be presented with a pile of stuff at a club meeting and told, "if you want it just make a donation you can afford, he would have wanted to see it used" when my turn comes I hope someone less fortunate than me will benefit. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shaun Walsh said:

Unfortunately, one source of low cost models/materials is from modellers who are giving up due to age and ill health or have been awarded their own personal wings. 

I suppose it's inevitable given the demographic of the hobby but it's always sad to be presented with a pile of stuff at a club meeting and told, "if you want it just make a donation you can afford, he would have wanted to see it used" when my turn comes I hope someone less fortunate than me will benefit. 

That's pretty much where we started from. The bereaved partner was left with a model room full of "stuff" which was in most cases just a sad reminder of the past. What to do? There are several "model dealers" about who would make an offer for everything and clear the lot, obvious plusses and minuses to that option. We decided to convert one of the bedrooms in our club hut to a shop, Suitable shelving, solar lighting, metal lockers etc. were installed and a committee member 2volunteered" as a shop manager. If a load of "stuff" becomes available, it is sorted out and the more attractive items priced up. The funds raised either go back to the bereaved partner or to club funds, depending on the situation. The systems works very well. We have tried club auctions, silent auctions etc. in the past with varying degrees of success. It does take a fair bit of organising, especially as money is involved, but with a good manager and 100% transparency it is a very good way of disposing and purchasing all things model flying.

• Like 1

I find it's a shame that forum users don't show where their location is, so that when we have stuff to give away that really needs to be collected, we don't waste peoples time that perhaps live just too far away to bother with the travelling.

It doesn't have to be an address, just perhaps the nearest big town or city.

Later this year I may be giving up completely, and that means a shed load of models, spares etc, everything.

It would make me feel happier if it went all in one go, (big transit etc), perhaps a club that does help beginners, or run club sales to build up club funds to sponsor individuals, what ever.

I'm not keen on individuals taking thing just to sell for themselves, so I wont use the classified and list everything.

Am I missing something ?, and there is information about posters and club rough locations.

My building and flying goes back many years, approx 60+ years, and can be found with a little effort and searches ).

I think everything will be , 'no cost', but with the stipulation that it all goes in one go, no picking and choosing, hence the need for a big van.

It's all electric powered, I haven't done IC for over 30 years.

It's a bit early yet, but sometime this year. So don't chase me yet. It would be nice to know that they will go to good homes.

Ray.

On 26/03/2022 at 20:40, eflightray said:

I find it's a shame that forum users don't show where their location is, so that when we have stuff to give away that really needs to be collected, we don't waste peoples time that perhaps live just too far away to bother with the travelling.

It doesn't have to be an address, just perhaps the nearest big town or city.

Later this year I may be giving up completely, and that means a shed load of models, spares etc, everything.

It would make me feel happier if it went all in one go, (big transit etc), perhaps a club that does help beginners, or run club sales to build up club funds to sponsor individuals, what ever.

I'm not keen on individuals taking thing just to sell for themselves, so I wont use the classified and list everything.

Am I missing something ?, and there is information about posters and club rough locations.

My building and flying goes back many years, approx 60+ years, and can be found with a little effort and searches ).

I think everything will be , 'no cost', but with the stipulation that it all goes in one go, no picking and choosing, hence the need for a big van.

It's all electric powered, I haven't done IC for over 30 years.

It's a bit early yet, but sometime this year. So don't chase me yet. It would be nice to know that they will go to good homes.

Ray.

On 26/03/2022 at 20:40, eflightray said:

Later this year I may be giving up completely,

Ray.

Hello Ray,

I came across your builds years ago and have followed your builds on your own site and the various forums with interest. I have admired your construction methods and how you have carved your own path in  the design and build of fine looking models which fly well.  Although I haven't yet followed in my own builds I have found them very interesting and they go to show that there are many ways to construct  good looking scale models without a huge bank balance.

Sorry to hear that  you are moving on but you can be assured that you have left your mark on aeromodelling.

All the best for the future

Stu K

Edited by stu knowles
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, eflightray said:

Thank you Stu for the comment, I've decide that after 60+ years in modeling it might be worth seeing if there is anything else to try my hand at.

? .

Ray.

Don't take up plastering if you think balsa is expensive !        :classic_biggrin: