Lucas's Rans S-9 Chaos

Lucas Hofman

No problem Peter, I was just asking. 

Flying on asfalt does not help with regard to bouncing. And rubber wheels in sub-zero temperatur do not absorb much energy either. In the summer on grass I expect it to be better. 

Ballerina was more stable in directions but even bouncier when flown with wheels on ice. I prefered skies in the winter for that reason.

I will try to bend the gear to a slight toe-in and see if that helps with stability. 

Did you know that the Rans S-9 has flaps? I downloaded the manual for the full size. Must be a mechanical mixer of some sorts.

Regards, Lucas

Hi Lucas

I only fly off grass,as for flying off ice🥴

Ballerina was something else. I thinl that the sale U/C location on Chaos is a bit farbak. A club member who built one a little larger always has the model tip on its nose.

I didn't know that it had flaps. Interesting. They might help and luckily we can do that electronically.

Do know that they had one of those emergency paarachutes. There is a great picture of one coming down with one wing folded up and the parachute deployed on Goog pictures.Gopro2.jpg.2431d3e02b4a7c5231a0971b1dc1e05c.jpg

I found a still from the video or a photo from that event. I suspect the latter as it was a bigger high quality image but the same aircraft.

I see that he did a lomcevac in his sequence. 

Just in passing, I lived in the Argentine as a child for 7years.  The commentary brought back happy memories.  That was where I started modelling.

No comparison!!

Rans Chaos is bigger in general, considerably more drag and bulk and complication.

Ballerina is a dream to fly, take off and land and very, very aerobatic.  I passed her on to a club mate and he loved her too. 

You may remember that she was chosen as a mass build a few years ago and I had NO complaints.

You will love her.

I converted her to electric power and she was just as good with the 3541 1070 motor.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

You will love her.

I converted her to electric power and she was just as good with the 3541 1070 motor.

image.thumb.png.a94f0d8ee71a65507ba0d2f360defb97.png

I did. But I sold her when a moved to the (windier and more open) coast. I have regretted that but the buyer would not let me buy her back so had to built the RANS.

Regards, Lucas

On 16/02/2023 at 09:14, Peter Miller said:

Possibly slight toe in might help.  A friend who built one finds that it wants to tip on its nose at the end of the landing run.

Mine seems alright although it is some time since I flew mine.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

That did the trick. Now she tracks straight, both on take off and landing! Thanks.

Hurra for 3D printing, which makes it a doddle to get the prop disc exactly where you want. A little down and side trust is included too. I have experience that nearly everyone with a 3D printer feels it is not used enough, and are therefore glad to get print jobs.

By the way, I found out that the full size has side thrust too.

image.png.46c60aba86617420ee92de2a248090fa.png image.png.ecbf92b97dda56a731eb816b0f4561e6.png

Tonight I am getting the decals, kindly cut for me by a fellow club member. So the next picture will be in "Jarsberg Airshow" mode.

Regards, Lucas

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had a long time ago ordered some vinyl and waterslide inkjet printable paper. This is the first time I use it. Not difficult to use and to apply and it gives some more detail to the model:

image.thumb.png.3c5ec462e1ee1ca92c1f3be6192a5d0b.png

Cheers, Lucas

ps. 10 cm snow again this morning. Now it has been enough winter!