Combining servos

EGB 953

I am about to start an ARTF 25 IC trainer. It calls for four standard servos. i have a Futaba TX/RX and wondered if i should contemplate digital servos or if that is a waste. Do I need to get Futaba servos or would any standrad servo be ok, and finally, to save weight it seems logical to me to use a mini servo for the throttle as it shouldn't need much torque, but can you combine it with standrad on the same RX. Plus, recommended battery pack?

Servo sizes can be mixed. You do not need to use Futaba servos, however beware there are some rubbish servos on the Flebay [ Futaba copy's and others ] Go to reputable shop site like Steve Webb. Digitals not needed for trainer.

I use Eneloop flight pack from Components shop UK, 4.8 and 6v available the former fine for a trainer.

• Thanks 2

For the type of model you are building standard analogue servos will be fine. The manufacturer really doesn't matter they all are fitted with standard JR plugs and will run on 4.8v. Although you can use 6v on most servos your application doesn't need it. One word of warning be very wary of buying servos on ebay. Even Futaba servos may well be fake, buy from a reputable UK based seller. Good luck with the build and happy flying

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'd use Hitec 311 on that.

https://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=HITHS311

£42 for 4 of them, reputable seller, etc. etc.

But you could use a micro for the throttle, if you wanted.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/4-8v-2000mah-aa-eneloop-square-battery-pack.html

Eneloop is my choice for this sort of thing.

I'd avoid radio gear on ebay - unless you're sure of the seller being genuine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nigel R said:

I'd use Hitec 311 on that.

https://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=HITHS311

£42 for 4 of them, reputable seller, etc. etc.

But you could use a micro for the throttle, if you wanted.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/4-8v-2000mah-aa-eneloop-square-battery-pack.html

Eneloop is my choice for this sort of thing.

I'd avoid radio gear on ebay - unless you're sure of the seller being genuine.

Thank you that is very helpful.

All the above is good advice.    What nobody mentioned is that Futaba brand servos  have a tab on the plug which means they can only go in the correct way, whilst other makes and also extension leads don't have this which means they can be plugged in the wrong way.   Doesn't do any harm the wrong way but it won't work so just insert the other way.   Several charts can be found online which shows various colour leads and how they compare to Futaba, typical one is here.

The same tab on Futaba servos might have to be removed to insert into other makes of Rx etc.

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

Well, not entirely true, KC. The other servo brands which don't have the tab, have 2 of the plug corners chamfered and corresponding cut-outs on the receiver to ensure they are inserted the correct way around. It is possible to get it wrong but is usually obvious if you do.

Also note that if you use Futaba servos with other brands of receiver then not only do you have to cut off the tab but you also need to file a chamfer on the servo plug.

• Like 1

My RX's can fit Futaba or Jr style servo plugs, So i buy what ever I feel like at the time.

and as for a trainer standard analogue servos will do, no need to complicate things.

As above buy from a known shop as a lot about are poor copies.

Hitec 311 are fine and for a smaller budget try the K-Power P0600  .

As for the latest futaba they are going to the s-bus compatible new range see Futaba SU300 which work on standard pwm RX's and the s-bus ones. The servos proberly are all going that way in the future.

Edited by flight1
gramma

Re throttle servo, by all means use a mini, but this is not the place to skimp on a cheap or dodgy servo. For one, if the servo goes haywire with the engine running, there is a chance, however small, of serious consequences,  and I dont mean to the airframe. Secondly, you will never get a reliable idle if the servo has rubbish resolution/accuracy. 

• Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 16:08, Nick Cripps said:

Also note that if you use Futaba servos with other brands of receiver then not only do you have to cut off the tab but you also need to file a chamfer on the servo plug.

That may be the case on extension leads (although despite the chamfers, in my experience it is easy to reverse them when fiddling in dark corners of a fuselage) but do many brands (other than those using Futaba plugs) key the connectors into their receivers  - I can’t say I’ve come across any…

I've always preferred the Futaba system but that may date back to my original choice of system in 35 MHz days. 

5 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

but do many brands (other than those using Futaba plugs) key the connectors into their receivers  - I can’t say I’ve come across any…

All my old JR receivers had a small chamfer so are keyed just like extension leads but as everyone says, very easy to put in the worng way round

• 3 weeks later...

I put a small dot of paint on the rx. A white spot on the side where the white (or yellow) strand of the lead goes, makes it very easy to see which way round to plug in the leads. 

That said, if there is space, I like to use a short extension lead anyway so that any unplugging puts less strain on the rx pins, especially if the rx is tucked away out of sight.