Cleaning old 2 strokes - Where do I start?

Andy C

I have a a couple of old 2 stroke engines which I would like to clean up and get them somewhat closer to looking new again.  How does everyone go about this please.  I have seen some ideas that simply say stick them in a pan of boiling water but I cant believe it is that easy otherwise I am sure many more of us would have shiny engines on the front of our planes?

Thanks

I use the ultrasonic bath.

For my cleaning fluid I use this.

Awesome Cleaner

Brings them up like new.

I got my inspiration from this guy. Sadly he no longer does rebuilds, but there is a wealth of information in his video`s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFYfcV1Fsxk&t=60s

DSCF0146.JPG

DSCF0148.JPG

Edited by Kevin Fairgrieve
  • Like 1

It says it's degreaser. Maybe worth trying another brand if you can't get that one?

I've used washing powder + hot water (not boiling, just simmering) before, you do risk discolouration though, can't say I'd entirely recommend it. Works if you're not worried about maintaining the bright shine.

Edited by Nigel R

For removal of stubborn deposits baked on a head a stainless steel rotary wire brush on a Dremel works well, stainless wire is quite soft. Before and after pics of Irvine 46 I was fixing up. [ do not use on brush on painted engines [ Irvine @ OS ]

unless you want to remove the paint.

46 head.JPG

Irvine 46.JPG

Oh, it is my engine :classic_blush: which has been resident in my much flown ARC Jupiter for the last twenty years. Been a great very reliable and easy to start unit but is well worn. In early days it ran on castor fuel [ gave that up ages ago ] and that is what you see, burnt on castor residue.

7 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Now that looks clean, any idea  ( out of stock ) what's in it ?.

Do you mean the LA`s?
It is just a degreaser, but who knows what is in it! All I know is it works for me.

Showing in stock for me.

The ultrasonic cleaner I use will only accommodate one engine at a time, but then I only work on one at a time.

16 hours ago, Jason Channing said:

How on earth can anyone let an engine, which is a precision machine get in that state in the first place (not saying that it is your engine)

Oh come on Jason, this is an engine that has been used for years, not one in a glass fronted cabinet waiting for it's

value to go up ?

Ps probable installed inverted and fed with that wonderful oil, Castor,,,,,?

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
ps
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Oh come on Jason, this is an engine that has been used for years, not one in a glass fronted cabinet waiting for it's

value to go up ?

Ps probable installed inverted and fed with that wonderful oil, Castor,,,,,?

I dont have engines in any glass cabinets but I do clean them after use.5000 years ago when I started flying I learnt to clean the engines and airframe at the end of the day not at the end of its life ?

14 minutes ago, Jason Channing said:

I dont have engines in any glass cabinets but I do clean them after use.5000 years ago when I started flying I learnt to clean the engines and airframe at the end of the day not at the end of its life ?

You appear to be criticising others who don't follow your routine, which applies to me as I just can't be bothered with cleaning. 

Steve

38 minutes ago, David Davis 2 said:

I don't care what my engines look like on the outside either, just as long as they work.

There is an old saying. "Look after your tools and they will look after you".

I think the days of cheap imported replacement ic engines have now gone, so it might be an idea to start taking a bit more care with them (or don't moan about price increases). There again there are still many cheap electric motors about (at the moment).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...