Laser 200 Flat Twin

Ron Gray

18 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Another giveaway was the way the revs dropped off when Ron removed the starboard glow plug - a large drop in RPM is an immediate indication that the idle mixture may be too rich.

Stored that nugget in my head........ best write it down as my memory gets worse each........ day!

13 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Second garden run, engine leaned out, @GrumpyGnome listen when I remove the glows, revs don’t drop like they did yesterday. This, imo, proves that on-board glows can cover up poor engine tuning.

Nice!  I see what you mean re removing glow plug.  I am practically salivating.......

How does the 3d printed filament stand up to the exhaust heat?

Where it’s positioned and being connected with silicon there is very little heat transfer so the PETG bracket isn’t really affected. I’m using similar ones on other models which have also got their baffles made from 3D prints and there doesn’t appear to be any problems.

9 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Where it’s positioned and being connected with silicon there is very little heat transfer so the PETG bracket isn’t really affected. I’m using similar ones on other models which have also got their baffles made from 3D prints and there doesn’t appear to be any problems.

Good to know - ta.

Well an eventful day's flying! The first flight was carried out but the engine just wasn't fully on song, especially when I was climbing which I put down to it running too lean.

So after this flight I removed the cowl and re-tuned the needles. The next flight was somewhat short and not recorded as it took off and the engine immediately cut resulting in a forced landing in some rough grass - no damage. I ran the engine up again and noticed that as soon as it ran for more than 10 seconds at full throttle the engine started to falter and when I looked more closely I could see quite a lot of air in the fuel tubes. Further investigation led me to make a new (bodged) connection between the fuel supply tube and the filler valve as that was where was air was being drawn in. 

The next flight was a lot better but still needed some more tuning (as I had fiddled with the needles before finding the air problem).

I had a few more flights with it today and will attach another video of the last flight of the day when I nearly ran out of fuel!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

were you really flying over those buildings in the distance

Simple answer is No! I think the building you’re referring to is the wood chip factory on the edge of the airfield (the one producing the smoke). Our flight patterns take us no closer than 50m to that complex. There are also a couple of full size hangars at the end of the full size runway which we don’t go near (VLOS would be difficult that far out!). At this time of year and at harvest time our main ‘problems’ are farm vehicles when we occasionally have to take avoidance actions!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

you didn't 'vet' the landing

No point really as these are ‘warts and all videos capturing my experience of the first runs with this new engine which is why the first vid is there with the engine not at its best. It’s a shame that I didn’t get a video of the engine cutting on the next take off showing the somewhat bumpy landing because I would have shown that too!