Boulton Paul Defiant

Comper

Just like to say that the model looks really great and is a nice change from the usual suspects! One of my favourite WW2 subjects, have you seen the full size nightfighter version at the RAF Museum at Hendon? It's a huge thing and it's a wonder that it performed as well as it did on the early Merlin engine. Having a break from balsa bashing at the moment and I've just started an Airfix 1/72 Defiant - plan to do the nightfighter colour.......black!

As for your  model, I understand the advantages of electric and can see why many would want to go that route ( I see the plan was designed around electric, so fair enough) but a pity a nice Laser isn't up front - pays your money etc.

What retracts did you use and what is its all up weight? Have you taken any wattage readings? I have a couple of 6 cell leccy aerobats and find duration is around the 6-8 minute mark depending on how crazy I'm feeling or 10 minutes just cruising - any idea what you're expecting from your setup when flown in a scale like manner?

Well done, look forward to seeing some flying vids.?

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

I mainly fly ic and have a laser 80 in the BT Hurricane great engines, but for a change I thought I’d go the electric route. I did some tests with the motor and there’s more than enough power but can’t remember the figures as for ic I’m not one for overpowering scale models.

the model will have its maiden flight this spring so will put up a picture if all goes well.

Very careful with the wood behind the c.g.  I also put a bit more curve onto the formers with strips of 1/8 balsa and shaping to take the flat look off the sides of the fuselage, but other than that built it as per plan.

• Like 2

That looks really good, and it should fly well with that wing loading. My 1.5m Avios Spitfire and my son's 1.6m Flightline Spit will both fly for a safe 8 minutes plus on 6s 3300s, which is fine for us.

Far easier to get better scale appearance with electric - you can swing a scale prop, and, with an inline water-cooled fighter, no chunks of aluminium poking out of the cowl.

• Like 2

Nice job Comper. I have a couple of these Defiant plan packs from Sarik Hobbies, with various extras and one day will definitely build one. The Chris Gold Defiant was featured in a recent RCM& E, so you should get some ideas from that article. Your rendition of the model looks very nice indeed - best of luck with your maiden flight to come. ?

_RIV0029AdjSS_sRGB_8Bit.thumb.jpg.bdd7f951570d0218575e0b3e9b5208b7.jpg2063374173_Def5.thumb.jpg.a3c8608d5a1c34d60927f3069f3a386e.jpg_RIV0032AdjSS_sRGB_8Bit_V2.jpg.cebba4a7f644896a586733b9bd21ea44.jpgYes, I built it from the Sarik short kit, been flying it for a year, it flies very very well!  Mine was featured in the January RCM&E.

I use 6S 5000 through a Ripmax Quantum 61, I fly until 70% capacity (3500mAh) is used and am getting 10-12 minutes of flying, mostly very low long passes at which it excels due to very good stability.

I made a working turret which uses 4 channels and is controlled by transmitter sequencers.  I just switch it on or off.  The fuselage fairing drops out of the way, the turret rotates back and forth nearly 180 degrees, the guns go up and down, and the muzzles flash.  That and the tail heavy design or wood meant a lot of lead up front and it comes to a whopping 13lbs.  Yet it gets airborne off grass by the time I get to 3/4 throttle, and it lands quite gently.  Full flap is like running into a brick wall so be ready with more power and nose down.

Lovely flying model, I haven't a bad word to say about its handling.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Hi, I too built the Chris Golds Defiant which appeared in the RCME Feb or March. Mine is the all black night fighter version, also 6S 5000. It has not yet flown and only has a manual turret. I still have to balance it and set control surface travel and dual rates just in case. Obviously don't know the all up weight yet. Delay is due to finishing the RBC Tempest V which maidened last week and flew lovely (see video on SRFC/BMFA website) and completing the final setting up of the Tony Nijhuis Typhoon which is now waiting for better weather (lighter winds) for my test pilot to maiden it. Have to say your Defiant looked great in the flying vids, hope mine looks and flies as well. Les

• Thanks 1

Great Leslie I’m pleased the Defiant is getting shown a bit more . My model has still not had its maiden flight yet but hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I’ve got the CG 115 mm back from the leading edge, Harry and Leslie can you tell me where your models balance please.  Good luck with the maiden Leslie hope it flys as well as Harry’s 

Thanks for the replies.  Convention says not to put servos in the tail as it needs lead to balance.  However, I’m happy to accept that most plane designers know a lot more than me.  So I thought I’d check, I’ll try and fit my servos in the fuselage to keep tail weight to a minimum.  

• 2 weeks later...