BMFA 100th anniversary world record attempt

30 minutes ago, Geoff Gardiner said:

I would suggest a record for the most mid-air collisions within a 10 minute period but, from reading reports, there were none.

My club (Concord MFC in Kent) achieved a total of 17. Would have been 18 but one pilot had radio issues and landed a couple of minutes before 12.00.

Oh I know of one mid air that happened about 1 minute before noon between a A4 Skyhawk and I think it was a Fouga Magister. I didn't capture the collision on video but the retrieval of the Skyhawk I did, and that was a feat of human endurance in itself from the bottom of a very steep & rugged cliff. 

14 flew at Ramsey Model Aero Club, easy phased launch, land and retrieve. No disasters.

It would have been 15 but one pilot realised a cell on his drone battey was duff 9 seconds to 12 and, by the time he got it changed, it was 2 seconds after the 12 noon whistle.

A great day followed by a bbq.

2 hours ago, Nick Cripps said:

The British Waterplane Association managed to get 5 models in the air at midday; 3 others failed to ROW in the strong crosswind and required the services of the rescue boat.

Good fun though, when's the next one?

2122 ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Barryorbik said:

A little late but a picture showing (most) of the pilots at Geenacres mass launch.  Included in the 39 aircraft flown during the record attempt were two quads and an autogyro!905469644_Greenacres100thmasslaunch.jpg.7f2b000ac765df286ebab11dc78b7a8d.jpg

39 Airborne at once! Must have looked like Heathrow landing stack, how did you avoid each other?

Edited by Shaun Walsh

3 hours ago, Barryorbik said:

A little late but a picture showing (most) of the pilots at Geenacres mass launch.  Included in the 39 aircraft flown during the record attempt were two quads and an autogyro!905469644_Greenacres100thmasslaunch.jpg.7f2b000ac765df286ebab11dc78b7a8d.jpg

Interesting high proportion of EDfs there, hand launching, en masse, must have been quite a site!

Also a little late. The Beaufort Model Flying Club in north Bristol.

Weather not the best for us, with rain threatening, and a bad wind direction for our field.

We got 26 airborne at the final count though.

93DF87D5-7DB1-4532-8EAB-F0FBE6CDBA5D.jpeg

Edited by EvilC57
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

The Power Scale Soaring Association flew as guests of the South Wales Soaring Association on their "crest" slope on the Bwlch near Treorchy. We launched 12 models but 2 had a mid-air just prior to noon, so it was 10 in the end!

PSSA Centenary Group_edited-1.jpg

Look out for the video next Monday afternoon on YouTube.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Tee said:

I didn't get to fly as I ended up as club coordinator after making the initial enquiry as to how it would work. Still feel proud to be part of the record attempt though.

John

A vital part of the team! Without the record co-ordinators in each club it wouldn't have worked! Next year though, fly aswell!

• Like 1

I think an annual attempt at the record, at least for the next few years, would be an excellent idea. Both of my clubs tend to struggle to get members to take part in most club based fun comps, but the record attempt has been a clear and popular exception.

• Like 1

Do we know what the total number of planes in the air at the same time is yet? 

It will be increasingly difficult to match the number each year if elderly BMFA members'give up' and are not replaced, and any further loss of flying fields will have a bigger effect.    However we could improve the score by making special models - perhaps with more duration/ better visibility etc.

I think that the WRA was a great vehicle to promote the sport, we had a lot of youngsters turn up to throw a chucky up in the air and following on from that I did 9 separate 'buddy box' sessions for those who wanted to have a go. Now even if only 1 decides that they want to pursue it then it was a worthwhile exercise, as that is 1 more than before the event!

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 7