BMFA 100th anniversary world record attempt

On 25/05/2022 at 19:48, David Ashby - Moderator said:

Off topic I know but why can’t my club form a team for the Payload Challenge this year? Ok, I know it’s only for university teams but why isn’t there a club Payload competition? ?

I agree with David - why can't we  ordinary BMFA members participate in the BMFA  Payload challenge?    I think the reason is that we ordinary BMFA members would beat the university youngsters hollow!  

There is a challenge for next year -  a club can beat all the university teams.........   ( and fly the plane too )

I was going to say that KCs comment might disadvantage British university students until I remembered that recent winners had been Chinese university teams - probably funded and supported by the CCP.  However, even then a BMFA Club team might still be well beaten by the CCP.

So, why is the BMFA allowing foreign university teams to participate?  This, after all, is the British Model Flying Association!

Edited by Peter Jenkins

13 hours ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

@Simon Vaitkevicius 1 Are all the reports from individual clubs going to be published? I realise that will mean a lot of work, but it would be lovely to see them all in one place.

I can see that one report from North Leeds Model Flying Club has been posted here: https://100.bmfa.org/map

Thats the plan. Just a matter of finding the time to get them all online with everything else I currently have on my to do list.

Edited by Andy Symons - BMFA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

Thats the plan. Just a matter of finding the time to get them all online with everything else I currently have on my to do list.

Totally understood Andy. There's a fair few reports for you to get through if there's one from every club. Will enjoy reading them once done. Thanks.

Our club's participation in the event -ably co-ordinated by Modelflying forum member Murat Kece - made the front page of the local Press and Journal newspaper.

282615882_10159646348547324_895504432661

That's in legendary company in view of the apocryphal story of the P&J's headline on the sinking of the Titanic - "North-East man lost at sea".

Just sorry that I missed it due to getting Covid, having avoided it entirely for two years. ?

• 7 months later...
16 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

It was a note in the BMFA mag from @Andy Symons - BMFA to 'book' the 14th May for another attempt. Do we know if this is confirmed yet?

That is the plan yes. We will be doing an In the Air Tonight session on the 2023 record attempt and the Around the World in 8 Hours charity distance challenge on Tuesday 17th January.

1 minute ago, Martin McIntosh said:

I assume that you mean the No. of models in the air at a given time. Since it has not as yet been beaten then why bother since I doubt if there would be much support. Forgive me if you are referring to other record attempts.

Why bother?  Because there is a demand to do it again, most who took part enjoyed taking part and had fun which is what it's all about. Clubs and model flying also got a good amount of positive publicity too.

• Like 1