RCM&E has new owners….

1 hour ago, kevin b said:

Interesting times.

Isn't that an ancient Chinese curse? ?

I just hope the magazine continues more or less as it is.  Back in the late 90s I used to do the food shopping as I was retired and my wife was still working.  I used to visit a local newsagent and there was a range of aeromodelling magazines available - many from the USA and, as a newcomer to the hobby, I was able to feed my enthusiasm by picking one up.  I think RCME is the last one standing as a regular monthly. 

I've subscribed to many magazines in the past from 'Motorcycling' each week and Motor Cycle Sport monthly, through Cycling Weekly and Yachts and Yachting and Wireless World.  Most have fallen by the wayside (although my interests have changed over time).

I wish RCM&E well with it's new owners. I do wonder how paper based mags are surviving these days given the competition from social media and so on. I must admit that I don't buy any magazines or newspapers these days, but have occasionally downloaded a digital mag copy that contains something of interest.

RCM&E is the only paper reading material I engage with.  Reading it normally involves a cuppa and a comfy chair preferably outside in the sun.  If it went digital only I doubt I would bother reading it.

Edited by Andy C
  • Like 3

Hopefully this will be a positive step for RCM&E, but I hope the paper copy remains in print.  I have a large collection of old aeromodelling mags that I still refer to quite often, mainly for the free plans, which you don't get with the digital editions.  As many of my magazines are no longer published I would have lost this archive if it was online only.

• Like 1

I can't imagine that many younger people will bother filling their lofts and garages with old magazines just in case they need to refer to an old article or whatever. Things simply don't work that way for newer generations in this day and age in my experience.  We're a dying breed and companies will change and offer what they feel they can make the most out of depending on their market.   I've no idea how magazines in general are doing circulation wise - there does seem to still be a wide range of titles available when I've browsed what's on offer in the supermarkets, but I guess that the days when people bought three or four mags a month are well and truly over. I see that RCM&E cover price is now £6.35! Wow.

I have a couple of dozen old modelling mags going back to the 80s that I saved from being skipped when they were offered FOC at my club field - I enjoy the older style of writing and much of what's in them is still very pertinent today and entertaining to read now and again.

Edited by Cuban8

Prefacing my comment with the note I read AND subscribe to RCM&E, I make the following observations:

As a member of 4 clubs, with a range of members, flying all types of model, I have often asked members 'Seen the XYZ article/review in the latest RCM&E?'

Almost without exception, the replies received are 'No, don't bother with that, get all the info I want off the net' or 'Used to get it but it's just full of advertorial by same old writers', and very similar sometimes less polite comment!

OK, my straw poll is by no means scientific or a controlled sample, merely an indication of what some grass roots flyers, of all ages think of the magazine nowadays.

Yes, I can hear the masses on this forum screaming I think it's a great magazine, I love my printed copy etc. etc. I would respectfully suggest we are a minority of a minority interest.

I think Cuban8 has summed it up that unless magazines (in general not just our specific hobby), can offer something that online cannot e.g. the plans, detailed build articles and perhaps less reviews, they are a diminishing product. I appreciate advertisers have to be catered for, but reviews that appear months after the item release and dozens of folk, worldwide have by then already posted their reviews online, unboxings, flight demos anyway, why bother(?)

And at £6 plus a copy, a purchase that really has to be worthwhile for the average reader.

Edited by Capt Kremen
spelling error!
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, kc said:

It's the free plans that sell the magazine -let's hope the new owners understand that!

You are probably right; indeed I will be buying this months for the first time in a few years for the Gyroo plan. Howevert, as the number of modellers who enjoy and have the skills to build from plans diminishes in the coming years will that hold true for much longer? I have my doubts...

• Like 1

Agreeing that the free-full-size plans are a major asset; do you remember 'Hobbies' magazine?

(I'm not sure if it is still published?)

That used to have 'grease-proof' type paper patterns for all types of wood and similar projects.

Has that faired well in these digital/online times?

I note railways seem as popular as ever and there are whole areas in the likes of W.H.Smith, even Tesco/Sainsbury stores, full of such titles for model as well as full-size.

I've noticed that rail enthusiasts, both full size and modellers, are very well catered for.  Although I read a lot digitally we subscribe to a daily newspaper and have done for years and I also subscribe to RCME as a paper copy.  We also receive several magazines because we're members of various organisations like RNLI (dating from when we used to charter yachts for cruising) and the CTC (now CyclingUK).  I tried the digital subscription here for a year but found it difficult to read  - partly because my vdu orientation (like most) is in landscape and the magazine is portrait.  I have a smartish phone but the text and screen area is so small it's difficult to enjoy - better than nothing but very restrictive.  I also still adore paper maps (particularly OS) - GPS is OK but it's like trying to navigate with blinkers on ie no big picture - I have been known to spend hours studying an OS 50,000 series map of an area.

On a side note, I have 3 decades worth of Motorcycle sport in the loft dating from its first appearance as a magazine rather than as a newspaper.  Very few adverts and lots of solid text - mostly on vintage and post-vintage bikes like HRD-Vincents and Scotts.  Can't bear to throw them out ?

I can't remember not being able to read but my father told me I hated being read to and insisted on reading myself before I started school. I'm still addicted.

9 hours ago, kc said:

It's the free plans that sell the magazine -let's hope the new owners understand that!

Interesting view. I've subscribed for 20+ years (I think) and never built anything from a free plan... I've built a few Nigel Hawes planes, following an article, but from kits he provided....... 

• Like 3

Reading from a magazine or book is far better that off a screen.  I tried a Kindle for books as they are cheaper that way.  I haven't used it for years but, because there were some books on it that I enjoyed and wanted to read again I bought the books...so much nicer to read that way, especially in bed before sleep.

As for magazines. I bought Aeromodeller and Model Aircraft since 1954. then RCM&E since 1961 although I was not ding R/C in those days.

I will not comment of the free plans for obvious reasons.  I just hope and pray that they continue.

• Like 2

The free plans are popular but I reckon that very few are actually built as a % of total mag sales. I have to say that the recent series of autogyros have got some people building and I can think of half a dozen examples (including two of my own) that have been successful.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't buy magazines on a regular basis anymore, but I have grown to prefer digital magazine publications. Should I  fancy a particular edition I have a pocketmags account to purchase through, and it has several copies on various subjects that I refer to now and again. I don't find viewing on my laptop or smartphone troublesome and a couple of advantages are that one doesn't need to find space to keep paper copies and they can be read on my phone just about anywhere.  I can aways print an article if I need to. I must admit that I still prefer a real book to read over a kindle or similar device.

Again, I wish RCM&E well under it's new owners.