Saito 62

Zflyer

Don't take this as gospel but I have read that the "A" has a plastic backplate and the "B" has an aluminium one. ?

P.S. Nothing to stop someone fitting a "B" backplate to an "A" engine though.

Is this of any use :-

https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-horizon-us-Site/Sites-horizon-master/default/Manuals/SAITO_Small-Medium_single_cylinder_Manual.pdf

Cheers.

Thanks John. I have downloaded that manual. There is a metal back plate on mine. I am begining to think that there was no A designation until the manufactured a sliht;y uprated version and assigned that a B. If that makes any kind of sense.

Right, it perhaps might be a good idea to block the rear one off, the reason for having the breather at the front is it will force oil through the caged rear bearing and into the cam gear area on it's way out. Having the second breather on the back plate will just allow the oil to take the path off least resistance, probably through that rear vent and not directing the lube to the front of the motor.

There are a lot of Saitos with the rear vent only and they all run fine, however the majority of later engines have the front vent set up for the above reasons.