Horus X12S with EdgeTX and Touch Screen!

Kevin Fairgrieve

A simple mod for any one with a reasonable amount of electronics experience.

If only the X12S had had this from the start, now I wonder if the ETHOS devs would port ETHOS to the X12S with touch screen.

Information from here. https://wimalopaan.github.io/Electronics/rc/touch.html

All you need is these and a few lengths of wire, and the custom firmware.

DSCF0312[1].JPG

Edited by Kevin Fairgrieve

6 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Never been a fan of touch screens and avoid them wherever possible.  It's too easy to inadvertently brush something and all hell breaks out.  Perhaps I'm just clumsy? 

I love all my touch screen radio`s, although it has never happened to me, maybe I am lucky.

There is a request in to the devs for a "SCREEN LOCK" feature. 

8 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Never been a fan of touch screens and avoid them wherever possible.  It's too easy to inadvertently brush something and all hell breaks out.  Perhaps I'm just clumsy? 

How'd you manage that ? 

I love my EdgeTX touch screen Tx.  At the field, I only ever use the touch screen for model selection - any programming is done at home, when I am more patient.  I find the touchscreen so much better than a scroll wheel.

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

How'd you manage that ? 

I'm naturally right-handed but my right hand (and to some extent my right leg) is partially (though only slightly) paralysed because of a spinal injury.  I've learned to do a lot left-handed in the past 30 years :).  I use a stylus pointer on my phone.  It's one reason why 99% of my internet use is via a desk top PC with a full size keyboard.  I only usually select models at the field, too, though I may adjust trims but that's rare. 

Plus you get greasy fingermarks all over the screen even as an electrically powered flyer.

I have a Hitec Aurora 9 tx with a touch screen and it it so easy to program and as soon as Edge TX was available for my Radiomaster 16 I updated it to enable the touch screen. Instead of wheeling and clicking through menus I can go straight to where I want. How many people would give up their smartphone and go back to buttons?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

I'm naturally right-handed but my right hand (and to some extent my right leg) is partially (though only slightly) paralysed because of a spinal injury.  I've learned to do a lot left-handed in the past 30 years :).  I use a stylus pointer on my phone.  It's one reason why 99% of my internet use is via a desk top PC with a full size keyboard.  I only usually select models at the field, too, though I may adjust trims but that's rare. 

Plus you get greasy fingermarks all over the screen even as an electrically powered flyer.

Too true....!

22 minutes ago, Outrunner said:

I have a Hitec Aurora 9 tx with a touch screen and it it so easy to program and as soon as Edge TX was available for my Radiomaster 16 I updated it to enable the touch screen. Instead of wheeling and clicking through menus I can go straight to where I want. How many people would give up their smartphone and go back to buttons?

Yes, I rarely use Companion now...

I'm with @Geoff S. Touch screens are great at imprecise things, like pinch to zoom. It you want to select the right place you need something physical. XY jog pad is best, but a scroll wheel is ok on menus.

Buttons can be operated by feel, and work when your fingers are wet. 

And yes, I would like my phone to have physical buttons too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

How'd you manage that ? 

I love my EdgeTX touch screen Tx.  At the field, I only ever use the touch screen for model selection - any programming is done at home, when I am more patient.  I find the touchscreen so much better than a scroll wheel.

Parts required, bear in mind I am UK based and your source may be different.

Touch Screen

Adaptor Board

You will also need some quality wire for the connections.

Instructions these may appear in German, I just use google translate. 

Firmware at time of writing make sure to select EN for English

The whole process took me less than 2 hours including dismantling and re assembly. Weather permitting I will try to test fly this weekend!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PatMc said:

My phone doesn't have a touch screen & I'm happy with it as it is. ?

I think both you and I date from the time when landline 'phone installations for private subscribers were all party lines.  In my short time at GPO(telephones) I got quite expert at wiring them in ?.  As a 17 year old climbing the posts was the best bit - not sure I'd fancy now.  Not a push button in sight then, either.

• 2 weeks later...