Colour Schemes

I'm close to finishing the build (NOT straightforward!) of my SIG Smith Miniplane, and thinking about colour schemes.

It's going to be red, white, and red & white chequerboard, possibly with a little silver.  But not the red and white scheme on the box.  

• Underside of wings and tailplane, and the rudder will be red & white chequerboard
  • Fuselage and fin - red or white?
  • Top surface of wings and tailplane - white or red?
  • Possibly a silver cowl?

Do you guys use a computer programme to see what looks best ?  If so, what?

Or do you just envisage it in your head ?  (I know lots of you will copy an existing scheme but I'm not after scale - I just like the look of this plane!)

TIA

Hi Grumpy,   I do quite a lot of this sort of stuff.  Photoshop is undoubtedly best, but expensive, and pretty difficult to use. There is a simpified version called photoshop elements, which you can buy.  You can probably pick up a reasonably priced version on ebay or suchlike.

There are also many clones, of varying quality. 

The results can be very good indeed. If you need more detailed advice, just PM me

ernie

I'm not mad keen on covering.

Consequently I tend to avoid dreaming up new colour schemes and just kind of do everything the same way.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And those are my "fancy" builds.

If I'm on a "quick" build, I just do dark underneath and light on top and the fuselage gets the light colour all over.

You might note I can't be bothered much with pilots or cockpits either... Black spray paint on the inside... done.

I prefer picking "different" colour schemes for my aircraft so they are not quite what you expect and also so they are easy to see.

I have a yellow & black striped Beaufighter (target tug), all black Mosquito (night fighter), and currently a black & silver Magister (Irish Air Corps).

15 hours ago, Matt Carlton said:

I draw an outline, photocopy it a few times and use crayons. Or draw up a simple outline in MS Paint, save it and try different schemes, really easy way to do it. 

I tried this.  Looked like a 3 year old was trying to draw an aeroplane from a verbal description provided by someone who hasn't actually seen the aircraft, using a large crayon, wearing mittens ? I'll have to persevere.....

14 hours ago, Nigel R said:

I'm not mad keen on covering.

Consequently I tend to avoid dreaming up new colour schemes and just kind of do everything the same way.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And those are my "fancy" builds.

If I'm on a "quick" build, I just do dark underneath and light on top and the fuselage gets the light colour all over.

You might note I can't be bothered much with pilots or cockpits either... Black spray paint on the inside... done.

Very neat!

14 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

I have zero artistic talent, I look in the mags/online and pinch ideas, models get done to assist when flying, bold colours for me, yellow n black is my favourite.

Yeah, I do that too.  All the ones I've seen on-line (full size or models) either have the box scheme, or are ones I don't like.  I'm pretty settled on the colours, it's just where I use those colours...

14 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I draw my schemes out on the PC first so I can see what it looks like before I apply paint or covering.

The top picture is how I envisioned it and the bottom one is how it came out.

Clipper Scheme.JPG

IMG_20210601_133802703.jpg

What programme is used for that? Looks very good.....