Depron!

Frank Day

I still think it is odd that an EU based company decided to abandon the UK model market particularly as it was the first and biggest use of its Depron sheet products outside its prime use for insulation. They still manufacture and sell in the rest of the EU as insulation.

There may well have been other factors in this decision but you do have to wonder.   

I have just purchased 4 sheets of the Depron Paper "Art Board" from Hobby Craft @ £10. I was surprised to find that the faces appear to be a glossy finish. Is this left, abraded, advice is needed.

I wanted a few tubes of Student Yellow and Red Acrylic paint Daler Rowney, not a tube of the stuff, or in anyone's else's range, in store. It seems that the primary colours are the most popular. At least I was in South Manchester for primarily other reasons, oh well!?

Simon if the trade marked Depron is primarily used as household insulation, the problem could well be related building Cladding issues. From what you read, the suppliers rather than the installers, have in some instances distanced themselves from the UK, being registered outside the UK.  It would appear as the UK Government tries to get the building industry  as a whole, to pick up the totality or part of the replacement process. In the cases of the installers, some have or will be liquidating the businesses, rather than make a payment. With respect to the EU, all seems to depend from which country you are, who has been fined, driven towards bankruptcy by Diesel Gate?

Edited by Erfolg

My latest foamboard creation is taking shape; a 55" span Regianne RE2005.

Fuselage is built on a cruciform of HobbyCraft board with the paper left on. Formers from the same stuff. This is clad with Flite Test Maker Board with the paper removed from both sides. This board is easier to form, and without the paper I can sand the joins to stop it looking like a lobster tail. Under the nose is a block of expanded polystyrene. This cost me a fortune, but it did come with a free fridge/ Freezer... I have also made the battery hatch from a chunk of this. 

The wing is built onto the lower skin and with 1/4" balsa spars and 1/16" balsa spar webbing. There's a 1/8" ply dihedral brace and the leading edge is one strip of foamboard and 2 laminations of 1/8" balsa. There are maybe 6 foamboard ribs in each wing with a ply retract mount. The upper and lower skins are Flite Test Maker Board with the paper removed from both sides. The model will have flaps and these will simply be split from the lower skin and then hinged with tape (this is how I top-hinged the ailerons on my Ki45 and works well).

Most of the fuselage is held together with hot melt glue; most of the wing is UHU Por...

The canopy is actually a P40 jobbie, but the front section is very close. The pilot is 3D printed from an STL I found on thingiverse. 

The tail feathers are two layers of HC board folded and using the paper as the leading edge. I will not cover this, but paint directly onto the paper. The rest will be covered with brown paper/ PVA and then sprayed with emulsion paint directly onto the paper. It's not super-light, but will definitely be lighter than a standard construction 'bird of this size. If it comes out under 4lbs, it will fly on 2200 3S, but I have room for my 3300 4S packs if not. 

A few more weeks to go yet, but a thoroughly enjoyable build.

Graham

RE2005 170422 1.jpg

RE2005 170422 2.jpg

RE2005 170422 3.jpg

• Like 3