Another Laser 200 Flat Twin

Chris Walby

There is good and better news!

The Lasers new home will be a test bed which can best be described as solid and functional which is of course what I need while the FT teaches me how to correctly operate it! Probably wrong, but sure it was called a Pulse although it has EuroBat on the wing and comes out at around 84 inch wingspan.

Not sure if Jon was just goading me by saying people suggested it should be mounted inverted, but for me I don't think I am even going to bother with the cowl (not much left after the petrol installation anyway!), so hopefully next week I'll be able to get the airframe into flying condition and the FT installed.

20oz tank and other bits on order

image.thumb.png.72a6d8e9a052048132ab6fb0fe78458b.png

The better news is I have found the FT its final home with some luck, a Balsa USA L4 Cub at 108 wingspan circa 1979 although it all seems very "sturdy" so should be just the job,

Looks a nice day tomorrow and the Extra Slim Twin needs a outing + the trainee wants a few lessons so no work planned on the FT.

image.png.b8a6f697f3540c29e848a027c49590f9.png

• Like 1

The pressure on with a bank holiday weekend and perhaps nice weather. 

With some measuring from the original front of cowl it would appear that the FT is too long on the stand-off arrangement or a bit short from the existing bulkhead so there was only one thing to do as Jon would suggest. After a bit of hacking the stand off was removed and a ply spacer cut to shape.

image.thumb.png.522d62bfef5e0fb3b1b72bf9404ca8b2.png

A few holes later and its looking ok, but I have original bulkhead to sand flat and then epoxy the new one to it.

image.thumb.png.3d3b817528c783d47276a31d550dc44c.png

With some luck the tank, prop and spinner will turn up although I have tail straitening, lots of covering repairs and all the electrics to fit so there is still a lot to do. 

• Like 1

On 09/04/2022 at 20:40, Chris Walby said:

Probably wrong, but sure it was called a Pulse although it has EuroBat on the wing and comes out at around 84 inch wingspan.

Are you getting confused with the Pulse you bought NIB from A.B. last week?  IIRC the 84” EuroBat was marketed by Falcon Aviation from Bolton - not sure if they’re still trading?

10 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Are you getting confused with the Pulse you bought NIB from A.B. last week?  IIRC the 84” EuroBat was marketed by Falcon Aviation from Bolton - not sure if they’re still trading?

Not sure what the seller described it as the conversation revolved around a suitable models for the FT 200, what's available ARTF for a reasonable price and so on The Eurobat (formally known as just "model") was agreed upon as suitable, robust and good value as a test platform for current and future glow engines.

The debacle around the Pulse XT 60 was just a distraction as its not for me, I am just saving it from the skip until a new owner is found and contributes to the charity. I might be less experienced than some, but I am not stupid enough the think I could get a FT200 in a 60 size model. And as for Falcon there seems to be no sign of them apart from a hacked web site, but I could be proved wrong.

Could just not resist heading up the field even though the airframe is some way off being sorted.

Second go and it fired up with no setting changes, but I need to adjust the throttle pushrod as I am at the end of the trim setting.

It did drop revs on the Starboard cylinder when I took the glow off, but then again there was very little heat build up. 

If I get the airframe sorted I give it another go and get it noise tested, but it certainly has a bark when sitting on the bench.

Thinking I might get a pair of 100 exhausts and mount them on the fuselage with the exits pointing towards the wing tips 

image.thumb.png.957060b17a9e8014bdf6a182cbf247e5.png

Edited by Chris Walby
  • Like 3

In best Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it"  all checked over, noise test sorted and just c of g to check...rather tail heavy! There is not much down that end of the model, no servos and nothing added.

Helpfully we found 2 lbs of copper strip and with a bit of vice work and cable ties it was sorted for the maiden, rather uneventful with a bit of up trim need. Engine performed as expected - faultlessly 

Once the ballast if permanently attached I'll get a video of a flight...   

14 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Copper strip, I wouldn't leave it unattended it's probably worth more than the plane,,,?

Cruel, but true ? Anyway its not about the model, its all about the FT and this airframe is just the host and test bed hence it has the Street Fighter look.

There is not much cowl and even less if it was cut for the FT, so I'll not bother. Once the FT has broken me in then it will go in the Cub and that will sound better than what's in it at the moment !

Eurobat ! What great model for a test bed. If Falcon still made them I'd buy another as they are great flying model. Only criticism was the  soft uc and a rubbish cowling .  Mine has a CRRC PRO 45 Cc and is still a great performer on the rare occasions its flown. The laser twin looks great . Look forward to video.

8 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

They still are available. I think propguy might have been copying falcon's homework ? 

https://www.propguy.co.uk/the-graduate 

Doesn't say "with improved UC mounting" ?

Update of the FT200 and Euobat, fitted a couple of engine mounts and lead after removing the 363g of weight to achieve C of G. Must say I was a bit surprised that it actually needed lead, guess it must mean the FT is quite light in comparison with other make/types of engine ?   

I suppose the in line engines are longer overall compared with the FT's although close in weight? 

Hi Jon,

Are the in lines more than 363g heavier (as my lead is directly under the FT crankcase) than the in lines?

Really makes do difference in the big scheme of things as warbirds often need lead up front anyway and the Eurobat needed lead. Or just shift the bulkhead back a bit if it really becomes a issue with where the spinner sits.

I can vouch for the weight of the 200 FT, I replaced my Laser 180 in my Wots Wot XL with the 200 FT and made no changes to lead in nose, no changes in flight characteristics (well apart from oodles more grunt!). The 160 in-line in my Mustang allowed me to fit both elevator and rudder servos right in the tail with no extra balancing weight required. On the other hand the 200 in-line in my Giant Super Sportster need 2 lumps of lead adding to the engine mount to get it to balance. With the in-lines they are being mounted 60mm further back than a V or a single so some of their weight is further back.

• Like 1