Lightening the load

Steve Colman

My go to powered glider for everyday flying has been my Mpx Solius which is certainly one of the best all round general purpose models available in its class.

However, I have always thought about getting something of a similar size but lighter and floatier for those wonderful calm summer evenings. The model I have been thinking about for this task has been the Topmodel CZ Astra; a very elegant model with virtually identical wingspan but weighing in at around half the weight of the Solius. However, having just completed a Topmodel CZ Marabu I've found the mounting (accurately) of the 4 wing servos and related bits and pieces is not something I wish to repeat again soon so I've started to look elsewhere for something simpler.

This has led me to investigating motor equipped 2m RES models and find the idea quite appealing as it would provide a model which fits with my desire to have a lighter and floatier Solius sized model but with the simplicity of just rudder/elevator control + spoiler, against full house with ailerons + flaps.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who flies both full house and RES type models and how they find the differences between flying both types. Do you prefer flying one type over the other and why for example? Also, should I go for a 2m model or something a little larger like 2.5m as there doesn't seem a great difference in price at the basic level at which I'll be looking.

Whichever way the model is primarily for fun use with perhaps an occasional informal interclub competition thrown in.

I welcome all wise words, help and advice from those more in the know than myself.
Thanks.

Steve, if you go for something in the 2m F5-RES class, then you'll find it a complete revelation compared to larger heavier models - typically a third of the weight of your Solius and much more efficient - and you'll also be eligible to enter the growing FxRES competitions if you're inclined.

Here's a friend of mine expertly flying his bungee-launched version https://youtu.be/Nm_fASOpz74

That's an X-RES in the F3L class (previously known as F3-RES) and weighs about 430g or so, an electric version for F5-RES (typically using something like a 3s 450mAh) should still come in below 500g.

See https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?cat=RC+Models&subcat=F3-RES+Thermal+Gliders for the usual range from Hyperflight.

I fly a PuRES off the bungee (photo below in last Sunday's first comp of the year), and have an X-RES electric conversion in the pipeline.

1282984468_PuRESAylesbury.thumb.jpeg.8acabee9c67f52bf35dff90f3ebec090.jpeg

See also https://www.fxres.co.uk/

Jon

Edited by Jonathan M

Thanks very much for your reply Jonathan.

I checked out your friends video, and although I had seen it before in my research viewing, it's one that demonstrates the capabilities of these models very well and just the sort of flying I would love to do.

If I were to get one of these I'm drawn towards adding a small motor. My thoughts now are; should I go for a 2m model or something a little larger (2.5 - 3m)? I can see pros and cons of either.

I check Hyperflight regularly, although living in Spain means additional costs thanks to Brexit so I'll most likely buy from somewhere in mainland europe.

Thanks for the "fxres" website link. Despite not living in blighty there's lots of useful and interesting to digest.

Thanks again.

Steve.

Hi Earlybird,

After converting the prices from Hyperflight into euros they are between 15% and 20% more expensive than sellers in mainland europe and I'd also have to pay import taxes on top.

Therefore, much better value for me to buy from over here.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Hyperflight if I was in the UK however as I've only ever heard brilliant things about the service that Neil offers.

Steve C - The two 2m size is very handy and capable and still visible at several hundred meters (just!), only limitations of a light airframe with a fixed camber wing are ambient wind-speeds, which limit one to 10-12mph max.  I don't know what RES models are available in 2.5-3m sizes, but if you want to go balsa and film (rather than foam or moulded) and are happy with full-house then have a look at the 2.5m FXj from Austria (two versions, pure glider and electric-launch) FXj 2.5m kit and video here FXj 2.5m electric

Steve EB - how's the X-RES getting on?

Jon

Jonathan,

I don't want to go full house, I want something simpler to set up and fly hence looking at the RES models.

The 2.5m - 3m models I've been looking at are the Hollein Introduction at 2.86m and the PicaRES Longears at 2.5m.

However, I can see the sense of the more compact 2m models which would also fit my original idea.

The Introduction F5j is 2.88m RE + flaps (2servo wings). It's the simpler version of the Inside F5j also 2.8m but RE + 4flaps + aileron (6servo wings). Hyperflight as well as Hoelleinshop also sell both kits.

I have an as yet unstarted Introduction kit. There have been build blogs on RCG for them that are full of praise for the quality & ease of build. Both models are very light, therefore a bit limited to light wind conditions. However the linked video of an Intro shows how manouverable & aerobatic it can be.   

Edited by PatMc
  • Like 1

Too much procrastinating on my part is leading to madness!

I have found a 2m RES glider with motor option. It may not be the best available but it would be fine for me and it's available from an outlet in Europe in which a friend of mine works so might even get a couple of Euros discount.

But there's a problem, a big problem!

After recently maidening my Topmodel CZ Marabu all the hassle of setting up the 4 servo wing has been forgotten and I'm thoroughly enjoying the flying experience which leads to the problem. Typically, I'm now reassessing my original plan and once again find myself thinking about the Topmodel CZ Astra. (or similar)

I'm sure I will love the RES experience, I still have a Graupner Elektro UHU that I fly occasionally and it's so relaxing.

Any hints how I can overcome my problem would be very welcome. In a perfect world getting both would be the perfect solution but that's simply not an option at the moment so, it has to be one or the other.

Edited by Steve Colman