How Many People Still Fly on 35MHz?

EvilC57

I'm a big fan of 2.4gHz, no longer to worry about being shot down by a plonker on the same channel, not having to worry about carrying lots of crystals or fiddling with a synthesized receiver, not having to worry about remembering to pull my ariel up or have a long ariel dangling out the back of my small model. I could go on.

Do I need the bells and whistles, No. But I do take advantage of them, I get warnings when my flight battery is getting low or if my Rx battery is getting low. I could go on.

35mHz was good especially for the people who stuck with it now they have it to themselves. I kept a little of my 35mHz gear and I've not touched it for years, if I did I would probably forget to pull the ariel up!

• Like 2

The other week a club member was having lockouts with his model, they only lasted a second or two before it reset.  On inspection after landing ok problem quickly found to be poor aerial position of the RX, both were pointing forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Oh come on you are getting as bad and as awkward as the french when I ask for a kilo of Tomatoes,,,

un tomate or Une Tomate,,,

Ah, so asking for a kilo of whatever is the same as asking for 1,000 kilos?  That's what you're suggesting mate!  An order of magnitude that is 3 orders of magnitude greater is no issue eh?  Good work.  Keep it up. ?

2 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

My delivery lorry of 1 ton of tomatoes has arrived, I will come back when they are all in the fridge,,,?

Paul, you'll never get all of them in the fridge, you should have gone metric & only ordered 1 tonne. ?

The only radio problems I ever seem to have is with 2.4. 

With a good old long aerial dangling out the back of the plane and a long Tx aerial too 35 MHz works quite happily to further than I ever want to see.

I addition I am confident that the 2.4 'phone' mast right on the edge of the field is no more than a physical obstruction! ?  

2 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

The only radio problems I ever seem to have is with 2.4. 

With a good old long aerial dangling out the back of the plane and a long Tx aerial too 35 MHz works quite happily to further than I ever want to see.

I addition I am confident that the 2.4 'phone' mast right on the edge of the field is no more than a physical obstruction! ?  

I forgot to mention not being on 2.4, is that damn aerial that is right in front of your face and never seems to be perfectly vertical,,,?

28 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I forgot to mention not being on 2.4, is that damn aerial that is right in front of your face and never seems to be perfectly vertical,,,?

Never a problem with my very short base loaded aerial on my 35Mhz Mux3030.  In some ways, a 35Mhz receiver aerial is easier to cope with than trying to arrange a couple of 2.4ghz aerials inside a model mutually at right angles.  All you need is a hole to poke it through and attach it to the top of the fin or along the underside of a glider fuselage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gangster said:

Fancy trying that band!  I guess the tx and rx aerial might need to be lengthened. Maybe by several hundred KIlometres

Since you flew happily on 35 mHz without an aerial of several hundred kilometers I suspect 41 mHz might have aerials slightly smaller than those used on 35 mHz.?

Milli Hertz i.e. 1 thousandth of a Hertz.

Scientific units have multipliers represented by letters, generally but not always lowercase means those less the 1 and uppercase greater than 1.

n 1/1,000,000,000

µ 1/1,000,000

m 1/1000

k 1,000

M 1,000,000

G 1,000,000,000

Uppercase K was reserved for the unit of absolute temperature.

I hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Milli Hertz i.e. 1 thousandth of a Hertz.

Scientific units have multipliers represented by letters, generally but not always lowercase means those less the 1 and uppercase greater than 1.

n 1/1,000,000,000

µ 1/1,000,000

m 1/1000

k 1,000

M 1,000,000

G 1,000,000,000

Uppercase K was reserved for the unit of absolute temperature.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Andy.  I should have known better!

38 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Thanks Andy now I know why there are another 9 lorries of tomatoes waiting outside my house to be unloaded,,,?

Let’s hope that’s how they interpret it there could be best part of 1000,000000 lorries of tomatoes still to come. May need a second fridge. Seriously we have had some banter here, hopefully it’s been valuable educationaly and not upset anyone