How Many People Still Fly on 35MHz?

EvilC57

2 hours ago, Don Fry said:

If that’s right, it will make the Gilets Jaunes chaos trivial, and you won’t get any strawberries over your side of Le Manche this side of Wimbledon, due to the shortage of lorries.

It won't be due to a shortage of lorries, it's more likely to be a shortage of strawberry pickers. There will be plenty of UK grown strawberries just waiting to be harvested. ?

Not been on here for  a long time and forgot about this forum...

I don't fly 35mhz now, though kept a few JR MAx 5's, the JR X-347 and couple challengers for nostalga, with a few rx, but sold most of it.

I was on the Southern  Models stand both this year and last year, and quite surprised how many we were selling. David had quite a few of most makes and they were selling,  much to my surprise.

Though they worked, I still would not trust a plane to a 20 plus year old piece of electronics, as they are not made anymore, and reliability won't be improving over the years, the opposite.

Other cap types drift in value over time although less than electros.

Biggest problem would be if any electros dried out and shorted. But main use for them is local power smoothing I guess, but not sure where in 35MHz set though? RF amp section?

Physical condition of the RX would be more of concern. Harder life, possibly vibration, more likely stuck in a garage getting baked and frozen, etc etc.

I'd tend to agree with Paul. New gear is cheap enough and reliable enough to not make the old stuff worth using. Unless you're into renovating electronics as an activity in itself.

• 1 year later...
43 minutes ago, cymaz said:

Is 35mhz is legal for large public shows?? Even though in ,  BMFA Handbook under section A, STRONGLY recommend not using it

35mhz is still a legal frequency. But for a public show you would have to obtain a display permit, so if you intended to allow 35mhz then you'd need to ensure you have a robust frequency control and monitoring. Much easier just to specify 2.4 and other hopping frequencies only.

I’m doing a public show next weekend. There’s 2 RC static tents  and small flying display  . It’s going to be a fantastic weekend of Steam and Sound !

Its a superb weekend and will be our biggest show to date. We’ve had to close section applications as all were fully booked. At least 30 Tractions, 100s of cars, bikes, military vehicles and tractors.

DO come along and have a great time. 

23C05DD8-A7B8-4A90-8D1E-FD36BB1DCA8E.jpeg

11018227-116C-4FB4-BC9A-1560BE50FEC8.jpeg

Edited by cymaz
  • Like 1