Spark ignition engine parts?

911hillclimber

Several years ago i bought off ebay a small spark engine very kit/home made status motor but tight and 'free' bar some gumming-up of old fuel (caster oil maybe) but a nice engine.

It came with a wood (old) prop, 11" x something, all good.

I fancy having a go at getting this engine to run.

The engine is complete almost, it has the contact breakers but no coil etc. Being a period looking engine i want to find parts to get it going, but to look period too. The engine won't end up in a plane, but this is just a 'tinkering' project.

Can anyone steer me please to a source for parts?

_DSC0037 (2).JPG

_DSC0038.JPG

• Like 1

I have several working vintage ignition engines. 3 Ohlson & Rice 23s, a Herkimer Bantam 19 and a Frog 175.

I would doubt that your engine is gummed with castor unless it has been run on glow fuel with a glow plug. Not uncommon for old sparkers once the ignition bits get knackered!

A modern mix for "gas" fuel is a light naptha based spirit such as Coleman's lamp fuel and SAE50 oil (used in Harley Davisons IIRC!) mixed at 3:1 ratio. I certainly get good results with that fuel.

I can recommend Woody's Engines in the USA as a source for genuine ignition parts such as coils and reproduction replacement spare parts. Still run by Woody Bartelt's family and has a wide range of parts.

https://www.woodysengines.com/

One thing I would say is almost a necessity is a transistor based drive circuit for the ignition coil to reduce the amount of current that flows through the ignition points. It makes for much more reliable starting and running. Search Google for TIM 6 ignition circuit. I use an older version of this design.

Edited by Alan Gorham_