Hobbyking lipo user going elsewhere!

45 minutes ago, Simon Clark said:

Most manufacturers of Lipos recommend storing at around 3-8- 3.85V / cell (around 50% charge state) and at around 20 deg C

Bears repeating.

50% (+/- a bit) is best storage state as far as charge goes, I believe.

In terms of temperature, storing at 10 deg C is not problematic, though in practice will be little different from 20.

The processes really speed up when temperature goes above 'comfortable room temp'.

Difficult to say for certain whether all of this makes an expensive (e.g.) optipower pack a better bet than, say, one (or maybe two) cheap packs over the same time frame, for a less regular user.

• 4 weeks later...

Peter, Martin.

In the end I bowed to the inevitable and swapped out some my old Turnigy lipos which were bought at the same time as lipos from 4-Max and Overlander some years ago (November 2018) .  It's been an interesting comparison I must say. The Turnigys exhibited puffing up with no exceptions, while the 4-max and Overlanders  of the same age and use are still solid and hard. In fact the first Overlander 5000 mAh 6S lipos I bought when I switched to electric flight I now realise were abused by me as a newbie. However, they appear in good, unpuffed condition and still perform as I expect. Therefore despite the higher price Overlander and 4-max get my vote now.  

I think I'm going to go down an alternative route for my lipos too.

Recently looking at some 3S 1800mah Turnigy's to replace some that I have had for a couple of years which now show signs of puffing and reduced power output.

I was shocked at the prices HK are now asking and they certainly don't seem to be the bargain they once were, and when shipping is added it gets worse still. And, that's from the European warehouse to Spain.

CNHL offer good price/performance on their lipos but stocks are almost non existent on most of the common sizes.