Painting help

DIGGER

I've acquired a model that is already covered in an iron on film, like solartex?  I need to paint it but it's gloss, I want to paint it in acrylic paints. How can I key it to take the paint. It's for an electric plane so no need for fuel proofing. Any help please.

Chris

You are both on it Digger, wet paper or dry paper.

Like you say, very fine grit wet and dry and use a drop of washing up liquid. I use soap, and wipe the wet grit paper across the soap now and again.

Wash off and put the paint on the clean abraided surface.

I spray, but you can brush, but don't forget that you are adding weight.

Edited by Denis Watkins

At one time Solarfilm sold Prymol an etch primer for use on Solarfilm to enable paint to be used.  Doesn't seem to be listed now but might be available somewhere.   They also used to sell Solarlac which could be used straight onto Solarfilm, again might still be available somewhere.

I would suggest recovering might be easier than sanding down  or just adding some trim made from Solarfilm or HobbyKing  film.

If its covered in modern polyester film then Prymol won't work , as it is was  designed for etching Polypropylene that Solarfilm original was made of.

You could add colour with adhesive trim film . You say in you post that film model is covered in is like " Solartex" . It could be  Glosstex so areas  you want yo paint will only need flatting before repainting as Glosstex it a ready painted Solsrtex. Test a small area first and check for adhesion before committing to a full paint job. 

Beware paint is heavy and can quickly transform a nice flying model into a flying brick.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Edited by Engine Doctor

• 7 months later...

I am at a point with my latest build when I shall shortly need to spray the first undercoat, cut back and then build some further undercoat layers as I detail the panel lines, hatches and rivets etc.  But here we are at a properly cold time of year and my spray space is an unheated small stone stable with a tin roof. I have power for my compressor  and can get some short term heat using a greenhouse heater/blower but am wondering what  temperature is considered the minimum for spraying cellulose primer with a small panel spraygun.

If you can't spray cellulose at less than 10 degrees Centigrade, how did we repair cars back in the 1950's and paint aeroplanes during the war ?

I'm sure that the hangers then weren't particularly well insulated (or heated).

With spray cans it is the propellant that is the main problem.

However, spraying at low temperatures requires a different technique (and lots of patience !)

Although these days I have access to a commercial spraybooth to paint my models (I am being spoilt in my old age !) I often spray small parts and do some primering in my garage at home which is not heated during winter. I don't think I would try a full model though and certainly not in colour.

You will probably be best advised to wait until warmer days, but there is nothing to stop you practicing on some of the smaller loose parts.

Just remember not to apply too much and leave plenty of time between coats. If the air is dry lots of ventilation and air movement will also help, but damp days are to be avoided.

Having the parts kept in the house (nice and warm) before painting will also help, as does warming the paint pot in hot water (not in front of a heater !)

Cellulose paint dries through evaporation, so thin layers with plenty of drying time is what you need.

:classic_smile:

Edited by kevin b

Just a thought/s - Using your compressor what about Rustins WHPU250 250ml Quick Dry Primer/ Undercoat - White/Grey. Acrylic, water based so not temperature critical (excluding frost of course) and says it can be overpainted with cellulose. Or Klass Kote primer has a catalyst although still uses a thinner. Cellulose in low temperatures usually result in blooming but dose that matter for primer?

I have NOT tried the above so only proposing ideas.

Can I just slip this in while we are talking spray coverings. I dont like gloss finish that the coverings have. Two points; Is there a matt/semi matt self coloured   covering. ;or is there a matt  clear spray(Can) that I can use? I am electric. I already have a quantity of semi matt clear (Water based)acrylic to hand.

Thanks Bas

Edited by Basil

Just an update, sorry for the delay ,I thought this thread was finished. All I done was sand it down dry, tacked it off and painted it with Vallejo model air paint. No primer. The paint is Acrylic already thined for an airbrush but I brushed it on, it's very thin so two coats was used and it's perfect. I don't think it has added much weight as it flys ok.