4 Channel lipo charger

Amongst others, I've got one of these and it seems to work very well. Good if you don't want too much power:

https://www.4-max.co.uk/Toolkit-RC-M4Q-charger.html

The only slight problem is the balance plug can be a little loose in the socket so you need to make sure you don't pull them out. Otherwise brilliant and versatile unit that can be driven from 240V ac or 12V dc. 

Simon

I have got 

https://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/Chargers/c76/p13761/GT_Power_X4_Charger_4x100W_Charger-_Due_Early_Sept/product_info.html

(I think it came from Kings Lynn)

I use it AC at home, and DC from a LiFe leisure battery at the field. Four channels and four batteries keeps up with my flying, unless Child_flyer is there as well. It is convenient to carry around. 

I am pretty happy with it. The software is basic but functional. There seem to be two small bugs - to select 'up' 'down' you need to press different buttons in the main menu from the ones in all sub-menus - and if you press anything while the charger is doing its end-of-charge jingle then it will continue to beep loudly until you unplug it.

The display gives information for only one battery, so you have to keep scrolling through. 

The discharge power is very limited, so it is certainly slow at home if I don't manage to fly all the batteries!

I also find that each channel on this charger is slightly different on the individual cell balance. My other single channel chargers are slightly different again. I tend to have batteries in sets of four anyway, so I generally try to keep them each to the same port so they are at least balance consistently.

The internal resistance measurement I don't think is as accurate as my Overlander charger.

Like Simon, I have the toolkit unit and it seems to work well.

As I do a lot of teaching on an electric machine, I do get through a lot of batteries in a session.

Normally 10-12 for a session plus whatever I fly for myself, with the Toolkit I do seem to be able to keep up.

Summer will tell for sure as I expect I will have to run it off a separate Lead Acid battery to keep up with a full days flying.

As I use 4mm connectors, I have had to make up adaptors for each of the ports but so far so good.

Hi

I use the GT X2 which must be broadly similar to the X4, obviously 2 outputs instead of 4, but very happy with it.  Had it a few years now and buying a second as storage charging is a wee bit slow at only 1 amp.  I guess that is fairly common though for storage charging.

S

15 hours ago, Shaun Walsh said:

Just found one

4 Channel charger

No idea how good it is though .

I have this one, which I bought from 4-Max about 4 years ago. It’s OK except that mine has developed a couple of faults.

One of the two fans has developed noisy bearings, which grumble for the first few minutes of charging until everything warms up. Cheap sleeve bearings I guess.

One of the channels won’t correctly charge any battery over 2S now. The same channel will not do internal lipo resistance readings on anything more than a 2S pack - a different symptom of the same fault in the channel I suspect.

So not the most reliable of units, although still in regular use as my main charger.

• 1 month later...

Tbh there are a number of good quad chargers about GT Power X4 is one example if you want AC mains or 12v DC input, 4max have a couple including the aforementioned.  One aspect to consider though is what if the charger fails then you are down 4 charge outputs.  Often some people opt to buy two dual output chargers so that if one fails they still can charge and / or replace faulty charger with another dual output one.

Essentially you pays your money and you make your choice.