New project has arrived.

Shaun, I have 3 motors available. Two very similar at 28mm dia, one Kv1100 at 40g, the other Kv1000 at 47g. Both would provide sufficient power on 3S with a 9x5 prop for example.

I plan to do a dry run later today in order to evaluate the available space.

If these turn out to be too much of a tight fit I have a little Mpx 2316/1400Kv at 43g with a dia of 23mm with a reported output of 120w which again should be enough for my use.

Failing all of the above, then unfortunately a rethink will be in order and more outlay which I want to avoid if possible.

Edited by Steve Colman

Shaun, I think you might be right re the smaller motor.

I did a test fit with a 28mm dia motor and it was tight even without the triangular cross section pieces in place.

I'm really impressed how these modern kits go tegether. As well as the front of the fuselage to check the motor fit I dry assembled the tailplane and fin/rudder and all the parts slotted together more or less perfectly. I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy this.

The fuselage, tail and fin are very easy, the wing however is a bit more difficult. The main spar centre web is very light soft vertical grain balsa and I lost count of how many times I broke it and had to glue it back together again. When the wing is fully assembled the spar is very strong. Make sure that you open out the Kevlar thread so it's nice and thin when reinforcing the wing joiner boxes otherwise the top and bottom spruce spars won't stick to the joiner boxes properly.

35 minutes ago, Shaun Walsh said:

The fuselage, tail and fin are very easy, the wing however is a bit more difficult. The main spar centre web is very light soft vertical grain balsa and I lost count of how many times I broke it and had to glue it back together again. When the wing is fully assembled the spar is very strong. Make sure that you open out the Kevlar thread so it's nice and thin when reinforcing the wing joiner boxes otherwise the top and bottom spruce spars won't stick to the joiner boxes properly.

Thanks for the tips Shaun.

Steve, some years ago the motor I was fitting to a glider was a very tight fit such that the motor wires inside the fuselage were in danger of rubbing the spinning rotor. My solution was to take the wires outside the fuselage past the motor, then back in to connect to the ESC. I made a small conduit out of Ali sheet to protect the exposed wires  and when painted, it didn’t look too bad. It may sound an odd solution but it was the motor I wanted to use and it worked for me.

Alternatively buy a geared in-runner if your 2316 1400kv turns out to be not ideal.

And I didn't bother with the bit of long thin balsa that you're supposed to attach the control snakes to before you poke it down the fuselage tube. It's much easier to fit the snakes without it, mine are just glued at the front and back and everything works fine. I had to trim a bit off the base of the tailplane mount before it was glued in to reduce the angle at which the snake exited for the elevator otherwise there was too much friction.

1 hour ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Steve, some years ago the motor I was fitting to a glider was a very tight fit such that the motor wires inside the fuselage were in danger of rubbing the spinning rotor. My solution was to take the wires outside the fuselage past the motor, then back in to connect to the ESC. I made a small conduit out of Ali sheet to protect the exposed wires  and when painted, it didn’t look too bad. It may sound an odd solution but it was the motor I wanted to use and it worked for me.

Alternatively buy a geared in-runner if your 2316 1400kv turns out to be not ideal.

If you do that you must be careful to ensure that the folding prop blade won't damage the fairing and wires when the motor starts.

43 minutes ago, Shaun Walsh said:

If you do that you must be careful to ensure that the folding prop blade won't damage the fairing and wires when the motor starts.

… hence the ali conduit to protect the wires, wasn’t a problem in the end.

Nice looking kit by the way ?

You can also turn some motors round so that the wires exit at the back. Would mean making a ply bulkhead to bolt it too and glue it within the fuselage. Obviously you wouldn’t utilise the cross mount.

I don’t know if one of your 28mm dia. motors would suit in this respect Steve.

Edited by Piers Bowlan