Old Warden model event 7th & 8th May

Modelair are due to hold a model event at Old Warden this coming weekend 7 - 8th May.   Usually well worth a visit.    Control line, RC and free flight plus a few trade stands and lots of car boot sale type stands usually.  Plus the full size exhibits in the hangers if the weather is unkind.

Details here.

I could not see it mentioned but in past years BMFA members got a special rate for entrance so worth taking your BMFA card just in case.

Edited by kc

Assuming i get myself organised in time i hope to fly saturday. It all hinges on the success/disaster that will be my flight testing session on friday as the model i want to fly has just been repaired and only has 2 flights to its name. I want to make sure my repairs and new c/g location are good before any public outing. If that is no good it all then rests on my ability to do the cosmetic repair to my Stampe and fix the broken exhaust on my sea fury as both of those are flight proven. 

If all else fails i can bring my La7 but am not sure its appropriate.  

So much to do. 

1 hour ago, kc said:

Modelair are due to hold a model event at Old Warden this coming weekend 7 - 8th May.   Usually well worth a visit.    Control line, RC and free flight plus a few trade stands and lots of car boot sale type stands usually.  Plus the full size exhibits in the hangers if the weather is unkind.

Details here.

I could not see it mentioned but in past years BMFA members got a special rate for entrance so worth taking your BMFA card just in case.

BMFA and SVAS members pay £13.50 full price £17.50 

I'm going on one of the days but as I live very nearby I'm making a last minute decision.

9 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Assuming i get myself organised in time i hope to fly saturday.

Me too! I’ve got a couple of things I need to check out on the 160i Mustang, which I’ll do tomorrow and all being well will take it with me.

Weather forecast is pretty good - sunny intervals and a gentle breeze for Saturday and much the same for Sunday.

I will probably go on Saturday.  

I have mentioned it before but I have always thought it would be a good idea to have a Modelflying Forum badge so that one could recognise fellow forum members.   As it is one has to recognise them by their models  -  I suppose there won't be many Stampe or La7 there powered by a well known British 4stroke!    If I spot one I will give you a shout Jon.     I will be without a plane but with a camera.

Jon, you should be OK with an La7 as you cannot be shot down unless you use 35mhz!  And a really bad landing will result in a round of applause!

Perhaps i should bring a small tractor with a blue and yellow flag on it to tow the La7 back into the pits. I am sure it would generate a laugh, but is that really right? 

Seriously though, while it is only a model and one i have flown for many years i am having to think twice about flying it at a public event in the current climate. Am i over thinking it? maybe. I mean i would have no issues flying a Bf109 or FW190 with a swastika on it. Perhaps its because i would use an actual historical paint scheme and look at the 109 or 190 as a piece of history? or perhaps as a warning from history rather than a current event? Not sure.

I am not trying to be all woke and i have no political or external pressure on me, i am just chewing it over in my own head. 

On to other things. Ron i hope to have a Laser warbird of some kind with me and a friend is intending to bring his 240v powered Spitfire. Perhaps a Laser warbird trio (or more if there are any) would be a nice thing to set up? A mix of the V and inline engines would likely be a rather nice combination. If i recall there are no specific slots at OW and we make things up as we go along dont we? 

• Haha 1

Jon, you are over thinking it. It's a model of a historical aeroplane just like an ME109 or whatever, not a support for a cause good or bad. If you flew an ME109 with a swastika you are not showing support for the nazi party. Go for it, fly your La7 and entertain us.

Phil

• Like 1

Jon, bring the model you are most comfortable with and if its the La7 so be it, as Outrunner said the model is a moment in time and times change.

PS I saw on Flypast a Hurricane fully marked up in German colour scheme, read the article and it made perfect sense as to why it was painted that way, just needs to be seen in context and if people can't its not your problem.

2 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

@Jon - Laser EnginesA Laser warbird group would be really nice, alas neither the Bearcat or Tigercat have been checked over this year yet so they won't be coming but I won't spoil it with the WotsWot XL!

Tempted to take the Eurobat with the FT200, but the only room I have might be for a small Focke ! Plus I didn't think it was really that sort of event, although having never attended as a flyer I am not sure what to expect anyway!

I was able to test fly my hurricane today following repairs and modifications. its still a toss up between that and my sea fury but i hope to bring one or other along with my stampe and i will see how things play out in the morning. 

Forecast still says low chance of precipitation for Old Warden,  so it's still on for me.   There is always the planes in the hangers if the weather is not kind.   Calmer for Sunday's forecast though.

@Jon - Laser Enginesthat was a shame Jon, the rain died out just as the show was getting started, wind was a bit iffy but not too bad. Shame that the flight line was some distance from the main body of the event, it felt somewhat separated. Also shame about the length of the grass on the runway, the Mustang couldn't taxi on it but with some assistance it got off the ground, had a nice bit of showing off before coming in to land and ripped the gear out. It was one of those situations, should I land powered on, tail up and hope that it can push through the grass risking a high speed nose over or land slower and 3 point it but as that was the same result anyway it didn't matter. Not a lot of damage and when I refit the U/C mounting plates I may add in a bit of an angel so that the legs are pointing slightly more forward than at present. hopefully Dom will post a vid of the tragic event in the not too distant.

Also disappointed at the lack of FF/Rubber/Glider activity, at a guess I would say that it was 10% of the numbers I last saw when I was last at the show in 2019.

But it was great to meet up with a lot of fellow formulites and put faces to names, but to be quite honest I'm hopeless with names so have forgotten who you all were but I'm good with faces so will remember them for next time!

I wanted to go but i needed a boat to get to my car and i would have been drenched by the time i got the car loaded as it was really coming down. I waited as long as i could for it to clear but hit a point where i no longer had time to drive up there and arrive at a sensible time. A few years back i flew at wings and wheels in the rain and i am super not interested in repeating that experience. With the grass likely sodden and all the rest of it i decided to give it a miss. Also today was the day my Dad was doing the tiger moth flight experience my brothers and i got him for his birthday.  as i had double booked myself by accident anyway, and the weather on the south coast for his flight looked better i decided to go for that instead and we had a good day. 

Shame to hear about the mustang but the grass must have been mega long for it to nose over like that. Perhaps next time someone should bring a mower for last minute grass adjustment

• Like 1

TBH Jon the grass wasn’t mega long, after all others managed OK, it just that the Mustang  is finely balanced on its legs so it is very easy to nose over if you don’t hold it with up elevator. Even with full up it wouldn’t taxi without nosing over so to take off someone had to hold it whilst I applied throttle then they gave it a push to get it rolling. So, as I said above, my dilemma was what to do for the landing, fast or slow. I chose the latter which may well have been the wrong choice but hindsight is wonderful.