Old Warden model event 7th & 8th May

I must stress guys that this was only my experience with my Mustang which, as I’ve already said, is finely balanced on its legs. I did not mean this to be a criticism of Modelair, but in future, firstly I will tweak the Mustang’s UC and secondly I will take the Giant Super Sportster as that can take off and land in very tall grass!

PS I need to fit a larger fuel tank!

• Like 1

I enjoyed watching your Mustang Ron, and it sounded superb.

It was nice to meet you straight after your flight and have a chat, and learn a bit more about the inline twin. Definitely worth considering fitting one in my Mew Gull, I think it will be well suited.

I had five good flights yesterday with my DB Tiger Moth, and am just about to leave home for day two now!

Brian.

Name badges would be a good idea, I know kc has already suggested it as well.

I just got back from the second day, much lighter wind today and a lot more sunshine.

Lots of great models, great flying and many happy faces.

With Dave Bishop giving a relaxed commentary (on the R/C line) it made for a superb day. I didn't get over to the free flight area, just not enough time.

Thanks to everyone who was involved in the event organisation.

Brian.

• Like 1

Great weekend, weather was better today and the wind kinder although it still had a habit of swinging to cross wind and catching some out (me included!). Really liked the relaxed feel of the event and it was well organized. 

Definitely suits models with big wheel, well sprung UC and a reluctance to nose over!

Three out of four flown and that was only due to a pesky on board glow not working....clearly not a Laser engine ?

image.thumb.png.d4f46e30ac8272fae5d87feb321f81de.png  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andy Joyce said:

Thanks Ron, did think that may the case.  Possibly next year things will be back to normal although sure Covid will still be lurking with another variant to keep us old folks watching our backs.

IMHO I don't think traders will return to events. Is it worth a day packing stuff up, two days trying to sell parts/kits to people that will just buy off the internet and whine about the show price, plus another day unpacking it all again. Not forgetting the cost to get there and get in.

Possibly big events might break even if the organizer does not charge the earth for the pitch and they get a load of punters buy stuff.

Any event that has a balsa supplier scheduled to attend would surely get extra visitors - the chance to choose your balsa would make the trip worthwhile . Perhaps organisers might consider giving a free stand to a balsa supplier?

At Saturdays Old Warden just one stand had a small pile of balsa about 6 inches high. not sorted into thickness, with a notice saying big sheets £4 and small £3.    Not enough choice to be worth looking at!

Did anyone else notice that someone on Saturday  was flying RC from the traders stands ( standing about 6 ft in front) with the plane almost overhead and near the control tower?   Presumably the same person flying RC circuits over the free flight area which I noticed earlier.   Nowhere near the proper RC area where all the flying looked to be done in a really safe manner.   

Edited by kc

Whilst I don’t remember there being a large trade presence in previous years, from memory the RC Model Store (Baldock) used to have a well stocked tent of new stuff and always seemed to be busy, I was half hoping they would be there again.

Just got to keep fingers crossed for Wings and Wheels as I need some more fuel plus other bits and pieces.

5 hours ago, kc said:

Did anyone else notice that someone on Saturday  was flying RC from the traders stands ( standing about 6 ft in front) with the plane almost overhead and near the control tower?   Presumably the same person flying RC circuits over the free flight area which I noticed earlier.   Nowhere near the proper RC area where all the flying looked to be done in a really safe manner.

The chap "flying" from the traders stands was having a joke... his transmitter had neither batteries or an RF module fitted. On occasions he would ask someone walking past if they could see his model as he was having trouble controlling it, then hand them the transmitter.

Those flying RC in the free flight area were flying 'radio assist', which are supposed to be flown essentially free flight and the radio used only to keep the model within the flying area.

It would have been nice to have a balsa stand there, also following the demise of Model Technics there was no fuel supplier either.

It was still an enjoyable couple of days though.

Brian.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't spent a weekend away flying at OW for a number of years now, so I had a look at the OW website for details and the Modelair website as well. I notice that there seems to be a significant change to the arrangements for camping/caravanning, in that if I've understood things, the old field used for camping adjacent to the walled garden is not available now. Also, the nice toilet block near the hangars, which was open 24hrs when we last camped, will be closed over night. Shuttleworth seem to be pushing a 'Wild Camping' agenda, out in the parkland with little in the way of facilities other than chemical portaloos.

Did anyone camp/caravan last time and how did you find things?

11 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Haven't spent a weekend away flying at OW for a number of years now, so I had a look at the OW website for details and the Modelair website as well. I notice that there seems to be a significant change to the arrangements for camping/caravanning, in that if I've understood things, the old field used for camping adjacent to the walled garden is not available now. Also, the nice toilet block near the hangars, which was open 24hrs when we last camped, will be closed over night. Shuttleworth seem to be pushing a 'Wild Camping' agenda, out in the parkland with little in the way of facilities other than chemical portaloos.

Did anyone camp/caravan last time and how did you find things?

First time at OW for me and the campsite was right opposite the flight line so access was super easy + it allowed the control line, free flight and rockets etc plenty of space to operate safety at the cafe end. As for the portaloos I gathered that in previous years various people abused the museum facilities which is typical of a minority, but of course spoil it for the rest hence the facilities were closed overnight. This was made very clear on all of the information prior to booking so can't see what the complaint could be + a discharge point was provided and Shuttlesworth cleaning staff were visiting the facilities on a regular basis during show times. As most attended with caravans I can't see what the issue could be, but then again some people will find something to complain about. On that subject I guess if enough people complain the organizers will see it as too much aggravation for what I expect is really little gain and call it a day (another thing the minority are good at in the face of the majority). 

IMO it was well run and all the staff were helpful and courteous, which was more that the prat that ran a diesel up at 8:30 pm and started his IC up in the caravan park when it was expressly stated we were not to.

Thanks for that info Chris. The campsite location that you mention is at odds with what is being stated on their website, but if they do put campers close to the flying and not out in the wilds, then that's fine. The issue of toilet facilities and the fact that the toilet block has been closed overnight is a pity. I never saw any evidence of misuse on the times that we used the block and found it very handy. 

I doubt if we'll camp again if things stay as they are and just spend the day on site, and especially as what's being charged is way more expensive than the facilities I can get just a few minutes up the road at a proper camp site.

My preference, one pays one's money etc.

On 08/05/2022 at 11:14, Ron Gray said:

Yes, was nice chatting with all the guys, maybe we need name badges next time? (Already planning for Scale Day in September!!)

Our club had some polo shirts printed with the club name on the back and the members name on the front left . The idea was to let new and those members who only visit ocassionally remember names. Then the jokes started . " incase you forget who you are ?" ? Etc.

Perhaps relevant in some ways as the average agein the club  is rising .

11 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Thanks for that info Chris. The campsite location that you mention is at odds with what is being stated on their website, but if they do put campers close to the flying and not out in the wilds, then that's fine. The issue of toilet facilities and the fact that the toilet block has been closed overnight is a pity. I never saw any evidence of misuse on the times that we used the block and found it very handy. 

I doubt if we'll camp again if things stay as they are and just spend the day on site, and especially as what's being charged is way more expensive than the facilities I can get just a few minutes up the road at a proper camp site.

My preference, one pays one's money etc.

Info from Modelair seems quite clear to me (access to the runway was inline with the "airfield" tag on the satellite image). So what does a "proper" campsite have that OW does not? When we used to take the Scouts the field had nothing in the way of facilities until some of them had dug the hole for the toilet tent! I guess you would want electric and wifi to make it a proper campsite?

image.png.eaf19e8fd34501c6b14efdc13aadbaf4.png

image.png.61e6fae6cf2cf95bd286660ff92cba6b.png