Kavan Resco F3-RES 2m Build Log

I've recently acquired the above kit and wonder if anyone would be interested in a build log?

This will be the first "kit" that I have built for over 30 years so will be quite interesting for me to see how kits have changed during those 30 plus years, and whether I'm still capable of doing so after years of ARTF's and foamies.

Please note that I am a notoriously slow builder so if there is any interest I hope that you have a high patience factor.

Before I begin the build properly, here is a brief introduction the the model.

The kit is a 2nd generation model originally made by Kavan but which is now manufatured by Pelikan in the Czech Republic. It fulfills all the vurrent FIA competition regulations although my use of the model will be for sport flying. The model is also known as the "Circle Dancer" as can be found on the Hyperflite web site in the UK.

To start the ball rolling I include a few introductory pics to provide an overall flavour of the model.

The manual is an A5 size booklet in English, Czech and German. Typically of modern printed instructinal materials the text is very small and difficult to read. the manual is available as a PDF although the one I've found and downloaded is for the previous iteration of the model and there are some differences in the construction. As can be seen, the photos in the manual are very small and in BW only.

Now, if what you have read and seen is enough to whet your appetite for a full build log please let me know and I'll try my best to oblige.

Steve. 

001.jpg

003.JPG

003b.JPG

003c.JPG

003d.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest gents.

In my introduction I forget to mention that the kit comes with a full size plan.

The model can be built as either a pure glider with a tow hook for bungee launching or as an electric powered model. Of course, for those that want the option of both, the tow hook could be added to the fuselage, motor or no motor.

I have opted for the powered option.

These first two photos show the small differences to the fueslage build of the pure glider version vs the powered version.

The pure glider parts are shown above the powered version and show the two main longitudinal formers that run down the centre of the fuselage along with the associated pieces that form the nose. Note the differences, particularly the different location of the square opening for the 2 servos and the extra space and slenderness afforded to accommodate a motor and ESC for the powered option.

01.JPG

02.JPG

A few more pics to keep the ball rolling.

As most people here are seasoned modellers I don't intend to explain every minor detail like the necessity to fettle and shape some parts for a good fit, or sanding unless they are absolutely vital to the build.

This is more of an overview of the kit, the parts and how they go together along with my observations, any issues I encounter along the way. I'm trying hard to document each step but I may inadvertently miss a few bits here and there.

Instead of writing reams of text I have annotated the pics with the salient points which I hope will make things easier to understand for everyone. However, please feel free to ask questions if you have and doubt about what's presented.

03 copy.jpg

04 copy.jpg

05 copy.jpg

06 copy.jpg

07 copy.jpg

40 minutes ago, Shaun Walsh said:

I found it easier to glue in the doublers and triangular sections with superphatic then dry fit the formers and wing nut plate (having glued the nuts in) and run thin cyano around all the joints.

Shaun, I did glue the doublers and triangular sections as you describe. I then decided to glue the wing nit plate and former together for some extra rigidity at that particular poit although it's probably not necessary. I've still yet to glue the formers to the fuselage sides which is a while away yet. I'm thinking of making a little change to the servo location which I'll highlight at a later stage. More photos to come before I get that far and I'll welcome your input at the time.

Although I'm building the Resco as a powerd model I decided that it would be a good idea to glue in the ply plate for the tow hook for two reasons:

1. It helps to locate and secure the fuselage parts during construction / gluing.

2. It will enable the tow hook to be retro fitted some time in the future if desired.

Thanks to all for taking the time to view and comment. It is very much appreciated.

31 copy.jpg

32 copy.jpg

• Like 1

A VERY IMPORTANT POINT !

I'm re-posting two early pics concerning the tailplane construction.

I have circled the 2 holes in the centre rib. You will notice that they are different sizes and I have shown the rib positioned one way in pic 03 and the other way in pic 04.

The correct way is with the larger hole towards the LE as shown in pic 04.

There is no mention of this in the manual until the end when it details the construction of the tailplane support plate.

In my opinion there should be only one way in which the rib can be inserted thus avoiding a simple mistake.

03 copy Extra.jpg

04 copy Extra.jpg

Edited by Steve Colman

On 13/05/2022 at 09:34, Shaun Walsh said:

That nearly caught me out. I made a thin light ply plate to go over the rib to reinforce it when assembled to the boom as I thought that the screws might damage the balsa rib.

Yes, it pays to study the plan very carefully as I've again realised with the next part of the build, as I will outline in my next couple of posts. I'm sure you'll have some good input to give.