Wanted - Hitec Aurora 9X

Matt Carlton

1 hour ago, Matt Carlton said:

Just wondering if anyone has one for sale anywhere? My old Eclipse 7 appears to be having some range issues. 

Matt - I have an Eclipse 7 at home which is just gathering dust and hasn't been used in years. I guess it must still work but I'd have to charge it up to find out. 

1 hour ago, Matt Carlton said:

My old Eclipse 7 appears to be having some range issues. 

Just a quick one Matt

Your Receiver, has as much to do with Range, if not more than your Transmitter.

If it is just one receiver in one model, then look at the installation again.

If it is all your receivers, then look at maybe one of two more up to date receivers.

Flying above our eyeline, range is quite good, but at lower levels, down in the tree line, we can be 400 - 800 feet, which is not that far, depending on the Maker, but is still in the design realms of " line of sight"

1 hour ago, Denis Watkins said:

Your Receiver, has as much to do with Range, if not more than your Transmitter

That's interesting as much if my flying is done at around 50ft or less, particularly with the model in question. 

That said, the installation has not changed, and there have not been any issues previously. I have however, only noted the issue since I changed club, so perhaps there's something in that.

Still, it probably wouldn't hurt to update, the old "Spectra" module in the Eclipse is probably quite old hat tech wise and 2.4 is probably a bit more cluttered than it was! 

2 hours ago, Steve Houghton 1 said:

That's interesting! So I have a FrySky QX7 on ACCESS protocol on opentx, can I bind my Hitec compatible RX's to that? (Somehow I think I already know the answer to that). 

hello Steve,the radiomaster uses a multi module unit inside of it which allows you to bind it to different makes of RX's....Matty B and others use this forum and are better qualified than me to answer you question..

ken anderson...ne..1..multi module dept.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2022 at 10:50, Steve Houghton 1 said:

That's interesting! So I have a FrySky QX7 on ACCESS protocol on opentx, can I bind my Hitec compatible RX's to that? (Somehow I think I already know the answer to that). 

Short answer - no, not unless you put a JR shape multi-protocol module in the back. If you want multiprotocol support form a TX I would personally recommend a new transmitter, it tends to be a bit more fiddly getting the modules setup, sespecially ifyou regular swap between protocols. 

15 hours ago, MattyB said:

Short answer - no, not unless you put a JR shape multi-protocol module in the back. If you want multiprotocol support form a TX I would personally recommend a new transmitter, it tends to be a bit more fiddly getting the modules setup, sespecially ifyou regular swap between protocols. 

Thanks Matty. I'm considering changing my radio soon as my Hitec A9, (although still being a brilliant system), won't last forever, and tech is moving on. So I'm considering purchasing a Horus X10, which will cover all my glider needs from foamie wings to full house pure gliders and F5J types with all the mixes. 

6 hours ago, Steve Houghton 1 said:

Thanks Matty. I'm considering changing my radio soon as my Hitec A9, (although still being a brilliant system), won't last forever, and tech is moving on. So I'm considering purchasing a Horus X10, which will cover all my glider needs from foamie wings to full house pure gliders and F5J types with all the mixes. 

TBH at this point I would skip the X10 and buy either the new X18 or slightly pricier X20 that run the Frsky ETHOS system - it is probably closer to your A9 in terms of configuration approach, still miles more powerful, but also includes all Frsky's latest RF programming. Personally I find the X10 a rather uncomfortable hold, the new models feel much better in my hands and they will be supported for longer. The X18 is actually cheaper too...

https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-tandem-x18-dual-band-transmitter-frsky-tandem-x18-dual-band-transmitter---blue

The obvious alternative is one of the MPM radios - with those ou are getting lots of flexibility in terms of RF protocols, but losing the more advanced ACCESS features (like over the air RX updates ) and TANDEM 2.4GHz /900MHz options of the new TXs. Only you can decide which will be more useful, but personally I would say having one (cheap) MPM radio would always be a good idea even if you do buy a new Frsky TX; with that in your back pocket even if you do retire your Hitec for any reason all the RXs remain useable.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Thanks Matty - I can't say I've ever heard of MPM!

It's a shame we can't just walk into a local model shop, pick up a TX and see how it feels. Looking at both the X18 & X20, the X18 does look like it would feel nicer in the hand than the X20 but, I prefer the look of the sliders on the X20 and the larger touch screen which, being long sighted would hopefully mean that I could read screen details during flight easier, if I needed to. I may have to see if I can find both to look at and hold before making a decision. Fortunately I'm in no rush. 

Potentially, the MPM (Multi-Protocol Module) will be supported by ETHOS at some in the future.

However, NOW, you may include erskyTx on the X20 and get MPM support. I have arranged this so you have a dual-boot system, choosing between ETHOS and erskyTx.

I don't have a X18 at present so this is only on the X20.

With these radios you should not need to look at the screen while flying, just set up voice output.

Mike

50 minutes ago, Mike Blandford said:

Potentially, the MPM (Multi-Protocol Module) will be supported by ETHOS at some in the future.

However, NOW, you may include erskyTx on the X20 and get MPM support. I have arranged this so you have a dual-boot system, choosing between ETHOS and erskyTx.

I don't have a X18 at present so this is only on the X20.

Very interesting Mike. So if I bought an X20 today, could I still utilise the additional ACCESS/TANDEM stuff like forward programming of RXs from within erskyTX and 900MHz backup if booted in erskyTX mode, or would I have to boot into ETHOS to do that? And presumably we'd need an MPM module scuh as the IRX one for use in erskyTX mode?

Edited by MattyB

I haven't got the internal module available yet, only external modules. Currently supported are XJT-lite, MPM-lite and crossfire/ELRS (yes to the IRX one).

The way the dualboot works is to power up into the last used OS unless you hold the RTN button pressed at power on when it swaps to the "other" OS.

Instructions are here: https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13679

Mike

2 hours ago, Andrew Calcutt said:

I am thinking of getting a radiomaster to replace the Aurora,do I need a PC for open TX?Thanks

It would be tricky to use without a PC as you will need to download updates and use the PC to store backup files. The MPM module will also at times need updating. 

I can recommend a Radiomaster TX16, I've had mine for 18 months now without problems, updated to Edge TX and working well. The only issues I have is my inability to fully grasp Open Tx/Edge TX but I'm getting there.

• Like 2