Gen 1 DX8 user considering a new DX8e, what are the benefits?

martin collins 1

I have been using a Gen 1 DX8 since they were first released in this country (how old does that make my TX?), and am giving consideration to a new DX8e, i am certainly no technophobe so am not interested in extracting the last ounce of information off any telemetry but basic stuff might be useful. I am just about to put a large petrol plane in the air following years of just electric, would it give rx pack voltage on that, i understand it could give me fightpack voltage on my e models. I have been resorting to picking up 2nd hand rx`s for a couple of years now as the new range of Spektrum and Lemon ones are not compatible with Gen 1 transmitters and am getting wary of buying a used Chinese knock off. Any thoughts from those that have switched from Gen 1 to a DX8e appreciated, anyone regret it?............. 

I'd be slightly weary.

I switched from a Spektrum Gen1 Tx to a Dx9 some years ago & did not regret it (albeit I now primarily use Jeti). 

One of the features of the Dx9 that attracted me was the Tx diversity aerials - two aerials set 90degrees apart in the handle and main antenna block. This allegedly gives much better RF coverage and avoids the weak signal spot if you point the aerial at the model.

The DX8e does not have this feature & relies on a single antenna. It is marketed primarily as a beginners Tx for bind-and-fly models and personally I'd like something with just a bit more robust RF link for a large petrol model.

As to displaying the Rx pack voltage, yes this is standard given a telemetry Rx.

ps - don't dispose of the DX8 as the new generation transmitters will not operate any of your old DSM2 Rx's, but I guess you know that!

Personally, I wouldn't buy the DX8e as it doesn't have the diversity antennae and also it lacks voice alerts which I use a lot (battery timer, mix callout, throttle level, flight modes, lights etc).

Unfortunately the DX8 is discontinued so the option would be to buy the NX8 which is somewhat dearer or look on eBay for a good condition DX8.

I have a DX6 G2 which I bought new several years ago and a DX7 G2 which I bought on eBay a while ago.

Ok, many thanks for the points made, exactly what i was looking for in advice, sounds like a good used DX9 might be the way to go for me, does that still work with dsm2 rx`s a i have about 10 of those in models, i guess eventually i should change them for dsmx. What is the black edition DX9? just a gimmick colour version or better in some way? Do all DX9`s have voice and telemetry? And is there a gen 1 gen 2 situation on that also, what should i be looking for?

As for transmitter DSM2 functionality, I think that the general rule is, if the case is black it probably has only DSMX, if the case is silver it probably has DSM2 and DSMX unless it's very old in which case it may be DSM2 only.

The other issue is parts availability for older transmitters. Parts are available for DX Gen2 and later transmitters but may be a problem for anything older.

Yes, DX9 transmitters sold since Jan 2015 will be DSMX only, so if you want a DSM2 compatible Tx you will be looking for one that is at least 7 years old. Ignore the DSM2 compatibility shown on the comparison table above, that is for the American market. All those sold in the UK & EU since 2015 have had their firmware modified to make them DSMX only. Otherwise all DX9's are identical bar the colour of the Black Editions.

8 minutes ago, John Lee said:

Yes, DX9 transmitters sold since Jan 2015 will be DSMX only, so if you want a DSM2 compatible Tx you will be looking for one that is at least 7 years old. Ignore the DSM2 compatibility shown on the comparison table above, that is for the American market. All those sold in the UK & EU since 2015 have had their firmware modified to make them DSMX only. Otherwise all DX9's are identical bar the colour of the Black Editions.

The (**) notation in the chart explains that DSM2 is not available in the Eu models.

Thanks for pointing that out, i looked at Spektrum`s website and found the DX9 black and it says DSM2 and DSMX, i didn`t realise that doesn't apply here. I guess i should flog the DSM2 ones off now. Any idea how old my TX might be, it was purchased in the first year they were released in the UK, time flies and it is probably longer than i imagine..............

John has summed up the DSM2/X situation perfectly. I have a Gen 2 DX8 which does both -2 and -X protocols and it has served me well. A year or so ago I treated myself to an NX-8 because I fancied the voice alerts and wireless trainer. I bought it rather than the DX8e because of the diversity antennae, although my DX8 only has one and has never given a problem. I always try to angle the antenna at 90° to the model, and I notice that although the 8e antenna only pivots in one axis, this should still be possible.

If you don't need 8 channels, the NX-6 could be a cheaper option. 

Is the 8e supplied for dry cell operation? The NX range is Li Ion powered, with charging via a micro USB socket. Mine runs for many hours, even though I have the display back-light permanently on.

15 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

Any idea how old my TX might be, it was purchased in the first year they were released in the UK, time flies and it is probably longer than i imagine..............

The Declaration of Conformity in the manual is dated August 2010 so it will have been released shortly thereafter. I bought my first Spektrum Tx 2009.

Martin, if I were in your shoes, I would buy a modern current production tranny, that allows you to use current Orange, Lemon, Spectrum DSMX receivers.

Keep the old transmitter to use the old DSM2 receivers.

Then you don’t need to buy a load of second hand kit, of unknown providence, just invest in a new good transmitter, and DSMX receivers as needed? like the voice functions. Reduces workload as you know you have the right switch.  You can use ear phones if you want privacy. 

I have DX8 gen 1 and DX gen 2 and didn't realize until I got the gen 2 that you can't transfer models between TX's with the sim card + on the basis that the NX series are current in production kit I would go for a NX series TX. 

As suggested if you don't need 8 channels go for a NX6 if cost is an issue and keep the DX8 gen for your DSM2 RX's

IMHO I would stick with Spektrum RX's as I have had models lost with some Lemon RX's, but others had no issues so perhaps its a DX8 gen 1 issue.

PS Not forgetting that Logic RC are the official UK Spectrum service agent (others are available)

Hope that helps and let us know how you get on

Will look into an NX8, i need the extra channels as a number of my models have ailerons and flaps on on two different channels plus retracts etc the channels soon get used up. Not keen on spending more than £40 on receivers though, how much telemetry do the Spektrum Sport receivers give you?

1 hour ago, Mark Turner 12 said:

Or a Radiomaster multiprotocol :- Controversial!! ?

That's not a bad idea, a couple of fellow club members have them and they seems to work well. I think they work with both DSM2 and DSMX. Would need to learn the Open TX operating system.

On 11/05/2022 at 16:36, Trevor Crook said:

I have a Gen 2 DX8 which does both -2 and -X protocols and it has served me well. A year or so ago I treated myself to an NX-8 because I fancied the voice alerts and wireless trainer. I bought it rather than the DX8e because of the diversity antennae, although my DX8 only has one and has never given a problem.

Gen 2 DX8 has two aerials.

5 hours ago, martin collins 1 said:

Not keen on spending more than £40 on receivers though, how much telemetry do the Spektrum Sport receivers give you?

As Shaun says, basic RF link info plus RX volts. They're generally excellent bits of kit but with few bells or whistles, just a really solid basic RX. If you're flying ye olde 40 sized IC they're spot on.

6610 is about £20 more than the 620 I think, with more telemetry. Also has built in altitude/vario plus sockets for a few external sensors such as RPM.

What telemetry are you after?

19 hours ago, Shaun Walsh said:

That's not a bad idea, a couple of fellow club members have them and they seems to work well. I think they work with both DSM2 and DSMX. Would need to learn the Open TX operating system.

It's an excellent piece of kit. Yes, you can use DSM2 and DSMX receivers - Spektrum and clones.