Wings and Wheels 25th and 26th June

I've given up with W&W at North Weald. I do plan to visit the Cosford LMA meeting though - a format that I much prefer these days without all the razzamatazz, blaring music, drones,  and a 'commentator' who is just far too much and in your face (and ears) at the last W&W I went to a few years ago. Enjoy it if that's what you want............probably best to spend the day in the beer tent for your fifteen quid.?

In the past Sunday has been a better day to visit North Weald Wings and Wheels. 

Saturday normally has a market at the far end of the airfield which causes traffic jams and closed roundabouts which mean you have to drive a mile out of your way in solid traffic around 10am onwards.   People who arrive earlier at 9am usually report no traffic problems though.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the size of the text, it was written in Notes and I can’t resize it!

Well I went on the Saturday and saw a dozen or so other club members there too, should have bought the group tickets! My car load arrived at just after 10 and the car park was already quite full, which we took to be a good sign. Bring and buy stand was well populated with some decent models too and seemed to have a good flow of punters through their ‘cash tent’. Despite a low turnout from traders, Rapid RC, SLEC, Balsa Cabin, Component Shop, Southern Modelcraft, Century all seemed to be busy. Not many people walking around with ‘big’ boxes but plenty with small bags. Surprising (or not?) lack of new models on the Inwood stand although, to be fair, they weren’t even listed as being in attendance. On a personal note I bought from SLEC, Balsa Cabin, Rapid, Bucks Composites and Just Engines which saved a lot on postage but now realise I should have bought some more paint and some more props and another spinner, hey ho, as no-one was selling Optipower Laser low oil fuel I’ve got to order it online so will add my missing bits to the order from Model Shop Leeds.

The flying display was generally good, despite the blustery conditions but some observations:

As has been previously mentioned the commentary was rubbish and why have the music? IMO the music added nothing to the event.

Pyrotechnics - don’t they plan for fire risk? As far as I could make out when the inevitable fire happened (we’ve not had rain for how long?) they had no one in place to deal with it and we had to wait for the ‘field fire fighters to come and sort it out by which time the fire had got a lot worse. Good fun or irresponsible?

Flight line safety - when Deano was brilliantly putting his Shockwave through its paces the pyrotechnic team were arranging their toy tanks on the edge of the runway, 200+mph low passes in close proximity of these guys?

We eventually left the airfield at 5.30 having enjoyed our day out.

3 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Pyrotechnics - don’t they plan for fire risk? As far as I could make out when the inevitable fire happened (we’ve not had rain for how long?) they had no one in place to deal with it and we had to wait for the ‘field fire fighters to come and sort it out by which time the fire had got a lot worse. Good fun or irresponsible?

Flight line safety - when Deano was brilliantly putting his Shockwave through its paces the pyrotechnic team were arranging their toy tanks on the edge of the runway, 200+mph low passes in close proximity of these guys?

This exact situation presented the last year i flew there. The pyro chap was in the middle of the field all morning with us all having to try and not buzz him. The grass caught fire and there was no apparent plan to deal with it. 

I did ask about the danger the pyro guy was in and the response was that the airfield is live to full size in the morning so you cant setup before the show, and you cant setup the evening before and leave unattended explosives all over the field. This seems fair enough, but if you cannot set them up ahead of time, and cannot set them up safely during the show then you have to ask yourself if pyro's are a good idea at all. 

On the fuel side, if nobody was selling what you want make sure you ask for it, or at least let them know you will be shopping elsewhere if they do not have what you want. Readers of my fuel related posts are probably better informed than most of the shops so you might need to let them know the score. Its not their fault, its just that the information may not have got to them yet following the closure of MT 

Personally I don't think the wiz-bangs that we had on Saturday where really worth the effort, it may have been better in the evening but for me it wasn't as good as last time I was at Weston. But then you still have all of that silly music playing at the same time, even the youngsters close by weren't impressed (and why would they be, the music was a mixture of tunes before their time!).

Regarding the fuel, I believe that Morris Mini Motors are expecting some new fuel deliveries to come in but they certainly didn't have any at the show and couldn't confirm if they would be stocking the low oil mix! Rapid RC stock Optipower stuff but mainly for smoke systems! Inwood's nothing ditto JE. But you are right Jon, if more people don't ask then these shops won't know what market there is for it. In the meantime I'll order a 4 gallon delivery from Model Shop Leeds.

MSL have got ahead of the game with the low oil fuel as a customer local to them wanted to try it following a chat with me on the phone and asked them to get some in for him. They got in not only enough for his order but a few extras to sell and it sold, so they ordered more...and that sold as well. I caught wind of it and now i point everyone that askes me about fuel to order from  MSL. I dont know how much they shift, but if half of the people i sent their way buy fuel, and while they are at it add a glow plug or other items to their order, its got to be a winner for them. 

as for pyro's at shows, they can be very effective and good fun. The last WW show i was at was really good fun with everything exploding and it is usually very popular with the crowd. Once the airfield was put out we carried on and all was well. 

On the music, was it playing all the time? If so that is new to me at least. Sticking the battle of britain theme over a warbird slot is probably acceptable if  maybe a little cheesy, but i dont think we need it all day long. Especially if its some naff old dance music. No thanks. I suspect this is something brought over from 3d competitions ?