Pit line benches

The chatter in today’s heat turned to the subject of proper big model benches, like those at Buckminster.   For clarity, these are waist height with a pair of vertical posts in front of the wings to use right from assembly up to running up engines just prior to taxiing out.  We might build a handful.   They would be portable, to store them, but sturdy enough not to need anchoring, ideally.

Rather than try to re-invent the wheel, I wonder if any Forumites have a knockout design we could adopt or adapt?   A couple of good pics will probably do it.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bruce Collinson

Hi Bruce,

I was speaking with Manny at Buckminster on this subject on the day of the recent swap meet.

The Buckminster benches are slightly modified versions of an American club’s design, the mods being shortening the legs to incorporate the wheels, and substitution of the carpet covering the vertical parts with yellow scaffolding cushioning foam.

The plans are available to download free here. They include a full cutting list and show the exact size of each piece required (in inches).

https://www.meroke.com/sbbuildinginstructions.htm

I hope you find this useful.

Alternatively contact Manny and he’ll send you the details.

Brian.

• Like 1

I have used the Buckminster ones a couple of time and IMHO

• They are big, ok if everyone flies large models
  • Heavy, as in these need quite an effort to shift especially over long grass
  • Don't fold up
  • Good news, they will never blow over!

Looking at our one, its lighter overall (has 3 legs, not a good thing IMO)and does not have adjustable retaining posts. This is ok until someone turns up with a twin and then the pitch is all wrong! 

image.thumb.png.eeb6a70cf79d9640a2b26b362d6ce932.png

I would almost be tempted to try a bench (as in flat table) with something like Unistrut or even holes for large dowels to fit into along the front edge. That way people can move the dowels to suit there model + it might make it easier to pack the table up with folding type legs. Have tried the Unistrut with L brackets for the uprights, but people love to leave the bolts loose although they are adjustable with a spanner.

There must be others out there?

PS - Worth pointing out there is a flaw in the design and quit serious at that! If you have a low wing model (and in this case it was IC) and the tail is not restrained then it can try and nose over. As the model tried to do this (due to throttle being set near wide open on start up) he put his arm over the prop arc to catch the canopy and thus stop the prop hitting the bench.

I have a large electric model and using these benches is a problem.  First there is little clearance for a 22" prop, second, trying to fit and remove the flight battery is a right fiddle and you get too close to the prop when arming.  I use the ground now with my own restraint!  Just a thought.

Thanks Peter.   Oddly, the only one I have used is at Buckminster, at a UKCAA event, with a Suprafly, and I found it extremely convenient, especially putting the battery in.   The radically different shape of a modern F3A is presumably the difference?

No matter because nobody flies those, but there are plenty of classics.   Grateful for the input, as ever.

proofing 2nd Edition has stalled but I will finish it!

BTC