"Brushless Motor Question"

Ok............ so how about if i've got a mini and want to put a jaguar engine in it and i've only got a mini clutch an gearbox  to use......................could i down prop it so that it doesn't draw 40 amps and only uses 30 amps? its also goin through a reduction box if that makes any difference..................

its brushless.......story goes...bought kyosho sports spree came with brushed motor an gearbox changed that for an ebay hongkong brushless motor with the original gearbox ,very little info on the motor all in funny writing..... model flys great can fly all day on 1/4 to 1/2 throttle any more and things get very hot.......did a bit of research on the motor and maximum volts it can handle is 9.6volts so bought the motor in the pic and hence the above questions..............
http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/33907/brushless_motor.jpg

Do you want to keep the gearbox or remove it? The motor in the picture will not drive a prop directly because it is too higher speed (unless the prop is tint 4-5 inch.) The big advantage with brushless motors is their ability to efficiently drive lager props without a gearbox.

In answer to your question I think you are unlikely to get away with using a 30A ESC. It may work for a while but in the end the only way to be sure is to try it. Do you have a whatt meter tor similar to measure the current draw? Without this you will not be able to select the correct prop.

Your model weighs about 1.5lbs which means you want about 150W to fly it. You doi not say what batteries you are using but lets assume 2S Lipos so thats 8V. So 150/8 is 18A so a 20A setup should do the trick. You problem is the inefficiency of you gearbox. Which means you will need more power so say 50% more which means a 30A setup.But as Eric says you sould always over size your ESC by about 50% so 40A would be the absolute  minimum you need.

If it were me I would use something like this with no gearbox on 3 cell lipo propping for  about 14A using your 30A ESC. Its on the limit of its ability but cheap as chips.

Hi, I am keeping the gearbox and i'm running 3S 2400mah 11.1v with the hong kong motor i'm getting well over 1/2 an hours flyin on one battery prop size is 9x5 all in all goes very well...............just need to fly it with feathering the throttle all the time..................hence the motor change...............gonna buy the recomended esc next week then hopefully the excessive over heating should disappear..........................