Ron Gray

Having designed and printed the exhaust shrouds and stub stacks

IMG_6691.thumb.jpeg.b4534288192a72db96a7cd0cb4ceea9e.jpeg

IMG_6694.thumb.jpeg.c373d5a8e1507c4d9076217c36b8d4c1.jpeg

IMG_6692.thumb.jpeg.ac5c425c6e25ce8aeec0d5e6805e1500.jpeg

image.png.f3d9f6b7400418de0be1a9364a1ea294.png

It was time to move back on the airframe so next up were the gun ports

IMG_6848.thumb.jpeg.00384168309fd2c4fa0ddefb8178ecd1.jpeg

I'm hoping that the inner ones (the larger opening) will produce the distinctive whistle produced by the full size ones!

image.png

• Like 3

Every time I see something useful, I think "must fix my printer". I've had it three years and successfully printed:

2 benchies

2 pilots;

A thing to blow air onto the nozzle;

A button to help release filament;

A filament guide.

Also probably used a full roll of filament on failed prints!

Would it be possible to print a spinner? Its so hard to get spinners in the right profile and at a sensible sort of price. Even if the final print needed a layer of glass cloth, or was only useful as a mould to then make a glass/carbon spinner it would still be very valuable i am sure. 

Clearly, exploding spinners are bad but it must be possible to do something with it. 

I have designed and used 3D printed spinners but only for smaller models, I wouldn't like to try one greater than 30mm diameter! But one could certainly be used as a mould for a glass / carbon final product.

Despite what I said above, I did print one for my Extra Wot powered by a G160 leccy motor. That did not explode but I was always wary of it so swapped it for a plastic one.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

Ports in place and blended in with some Ron's Sauce (as opposed to Freddy's sauce!!). I couldn't resist blowing them in with the air brush just to see what they look like, I will be rubbing them down a bit more before final painting.

IMG_6851.thumb.jpeg.cf828b1c2cab2165f90349339eaa6e2e.jpeg

• Like 1

Yea i was thinking about the 4-6 inch sort of size spinner for 70-90 inch WWII fighters. I have a carbon spinner on my sea fury and it looked decidedly home made. I also have a spun ali spinner for my Spitfire XIV but as yellow no longer produce them its going to be impossible to get another should it ever be damaged. It seems silly to scrap a whole model because i cant get a spinner so it is something i have been musing over for some time.