Summer 2022 is here - who's been flying?

Here in North Lincolnshire the temperatures have been above 20c and, as the Swifts and Swallows returned a couple of weeks ago it feels like summer to me.

Flying yesterday, MPX Easystar and The Ohmen. Getting ready to go to the field again for a good day with my club mates. ?

Steve

I arrived at my club at 08:00 this morning where it was dead calm and 18c; perfect for some final trimming/set-up flying of my recently completed Marabu by Topmodel CZ. By the time I left at 11:00 the temp had risen to 27c which I can just about tolerate while standing in the middle of a flying field.

With temps set to increase between today and Sunday it will be a 7:30 start for me from now on. 

Four flights today in the premature summer sunshine, a record for me over the last three years. Eight hours at the field with a group of good mates, for the last four hours anyway. We all agreed that we would make hay while the sun shines. More of the same tomorrow, following overnight rain, the best time for it to rain. The Swallows are looking for nesting sites, adding to the entertainment with their flying skills. 

I am going to enjoy summer while it is here. ?

Steve

11 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

EB, rather premature to call it summer?

Early by name but a month is the earliest I have ever been. Being a friendly forum no one on here really objects to my definition of summer being when the Swallows return.

Steve  

9 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Shame that the first four hours were with a group of not so good mates ?

Good one Ron. ?

I was on my own until 12:00 apart from an hour when Callum (Calli) had a few flights with his Gyrocopter I was told to retire to a safe distance, in the cabin?, just in case as he was out of practice.

All good fun.

I flew The Ohmen and Phoenix 2000. 

Steve

• Like 1

Decided to try my new bungee yesterday. It's years and years since I last got a glider up this way so I was a little nervous and mindful that it might be a very easy and convenient way of trashing my Elan 100 ?.  All went pretty smoothly though after a few modest launches, found some height and thermals, which was very satisfying. 

IMG_6007.jpeg

• Like 5

Went out today with the Giant Super Sportster and the Wots Wot XL, mainly to fly at my ‘other’ club and to try the Laser 200 in-line (Sportster) back to back with the Laser 200 flat twin (WWXL). Assembled the Sportster and discovered a defective servo so that didn’t fly, flew the WWXL which seemed to suddenly run low on fuel before it should have. Same thing happened again but this time just after take off resulting in an interesting cross wind dead stick landing (no damage). Traced the problem to the clunk which had come adrift in the tank so that put paid to any more flying. Hey ho, the joys of flying!

Flew Phoenix 2000 but on the last flight I decided that I could not fly when I was shivering, maybe I am a bit premature putting shorts on. ???

Not to worry three good twenty minute flights and a bubble of rising air that took me from 100 m to 200 m made my day and I was home for lunch.

Steve

• Like 1

10 hours ago, David Ashby - Moderator said:

Decided to try my new bungee yesterday. It's years and years since I last got a glider up this way so I was a little nervous

I haven't used a bungee for a long time. I have one but it has doubtless perished. The last thing I launched was, I believe, a Balsa Cabin Sonata or possibly a Flair Albatross. A lovely peaceful way to spend a summer evening. 

• Like 1

I was always nervous that I'd end up watching a bag of bits being dragged down the field as the wings collapsed.......... or a lovely unplanned wing-over resulting in said bag of bits. 

Never happened, but the thoughts were always at the back of my mind!

Lovely way to spend a warm summer day.

4 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I was always nervous that I'd end up watching a bag of bits being dragged down the field as the wings collapsed.......... or a lovely unplanned wing-over resulting in said bag of bits. 

Never happened, but the thoughts were always at the back of my mind!

Lovely way to spend a warm summer day.

Yep, seen it happen. Back in the 80s. One wing folded on the way up and the rest of the model trimmed the grass. When we examined the bits we realised that he'd just butt-joined the wing after a previous break, no joiners or reinforcement at all.  ?

Certainly doesn't feel like Summer today. The Swifts (they arrived!) and Swallows are shivering as they fly around. On the positive side, they must have had a good journey as there are quite a few of them.

Just started raining at flying field ?