2015 Spektrum DX9 updates order?

mightypeesh

Hi Folks. I have a 2015 DX9 which I have not updated since it was purchased - guilty of the 'if it ain't broke don't fix' mindset.... I have just purchased a AR630 AS3X receiver and in the instructions it says to update to latest software on the Tx. Looking at the downloads page there have been 5 updates over the years that I have not carried out. My question is, do I load each one in order from the earliest onto the sd card and update in stages or do I just go for the latest update? 

Cheers, Simon

14 hours ago, mightypeesh said:

Hi Folks. I have a 2015 DX9 which I have not updated since it was purchased - guilty of the 'if it ain't broke don't fix' mindset.... I have just purchased a AR630 AS3X receiver and in the instructions it says to update to latest software on the Tx. Looking at the downloads page there have been 5 updates over the years that I have not carried out. My question is, do I load each one in order from the earliest onto the sd card and update in stages or do I just go for the latest update? 

Cheers, Simon

Looking at the number of people who have had serious issues with their Spektrum gear because of failed and problematic updates, resulting in returns for repair,  I'd be very careful before going ahead. I see that the latest Spektrum gear is Wi-Fi updatable and much more user friendly and reliable than faffing about with memory cards.

Have a DX9G2 and after the first update after buying it new, I'm happy to leave it as it is.  Just saying.

Edited by Cuban8

20 hours ago, mightypeesh said:

Mine is dsmx only so not a problem there. Bit worried about what Cuban is saying but don't think I can use the receiver without the update.... definitely cant afford a new TX at the moment either...

Thanks, Simon

Just be aware that some people have had problems, but just follow the update instructions to the letter and make sure that you use the correct SD card. Logic RC who are the UK service agency for Spektrum recommend using a "Class 4 or lower, 16G or smaller Micro SD Card that is formatted FAT or FAT32 file systems. Some Class 10 cards will work from top brands like SanDisk and Toshiba".

Plenty of tutorials on Youtube and support from the Logic RC website.

Edited by Cuban8

Thanks Cuban, will do some research and make sure all is in place first. When I purchased the set I got a Sandisk Ultra Cat10 Sd card as the one that came with it was rubbish - like everybody else I think - so hopefully should be ok.

Many thanks, Simon

Alternatively post it to Logic RC (John Norris) and he will service it and do the firmware upgrade in one go.

I came across (although John already knew) a range test issue with one of the newer RX's and my DX8 gen 1 which was a RX firmware issue, which he can do as well.

PS although my DX8 gen 1 has latest firmware it will still run/bind on either DSM2 or DSMX

PPS Only pain in the bum is the models will not transfer from a DX8 gen 1  to a DX8 gen 2 via the memory card 

I guess its up to you regarding how confident you are doing the upgrade and the consequence having to send it away if it screws up and how long you will be without it. Let you how you get on?

21 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

PS although my DX8 gen 1 has latest firmware it will still run/bind on either DSM2 or DSMX

PPS Only pain in the bum is the models will not transfer from a DX8 gen 1  to a DX8 gen 2 via the memory card 

This page can change spm files from the DX8 G1 to Spektrum G2

I have used it with no problems ?

https://spmtool.azurewebsites.net/

Cheers

Soren