An outstanding and masterful performance

Steve Colman

While a despotic man wreaks havoc upon another nation a young girl of his country displays absolute mastery of an instrument to deliver a stunning musical performance that displays the pure talent, creativity and beauty that the nation posseses.

I could have picked from a variety including Stairway to heaven, Bohemian Rhapsody but this rendition of Nothing else matters by Metallica does it for me.

Edited by Steve Colman
  • Like 6

I have zero knowledge of Metallica (though I've heard the name) but if I'd been challenged to name the composer of the piano solo I'd have hazarded a guess at another outstanding Russian Rachmaninoff - at least at the beginning.  There are certainly a great many talented Russian composers and Dmitri Shostakovitch's Symphony No 7 was premiered in Leningrad during the siege in WW2 when they were beset by the Nazis much as they in their turn are doing in Ukraine right now. 

I don't expect anyone to listen right through but the first 10 minutes get pretty exciting. 

Loved the second one, too.  Was it a random piano left for customers to play if they so fancied, or a set performance with added public involvement?  Amazing that so many walked by without even a glance.  As one with no talent at all, I envy those that have. 

Geoff, I know very little of classical music but I generally like "most" forms of music - if it lifts the soul then it does it for me.

Metallica are a very well known "Heavy Metal" rock band and the piece the girl arranged and played is one of their best known "quieter" songs.

The second video was a random piano at a public place. However, the pianist guy is well known for going around the country and mostly pretending that he can't play and encouraging others who can to "teach" him. I particularly like the video because it just shows that it proves the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover."

I watch and listen to many street musicians of all types who clearly have fantastic talent and it amazes me how most people simply walk on by. I guess everyone must be too busy with modern life or simply ignorant and not truly aware of what's going on around them.

Edited by Steve Colman
  • Like 1