Making a plane easier to see.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd go along with contrasting black/white stripes on the undersurfaces and I've found that a bit of fluorescent orange can help quite a bit, especially on the tips. One thing I now do on all my models is add a couple of fluorescent orange strips on the leading edges, this can make a big difference in discerning orientation if the model is coming straight towards you and is a big help on landing.

Here's some recent examples.

Albatross_short_final2.jpg

Albatross_flypast.jpg

Dragonfly maiden.jpg

• Like 3

I think colour contrast is important, too - preferably in simple straight edged patterns or stripes.  A white wing with darker tips or diagonal stripes.  Our cycle club jerseys were simple lightish blue with a single broad stripe across the chest and it's surprising how they stand out at a distance against more elaborate designs.

The DB Gypsy Moth in my icon is quite easy to see in yellow and black (one of the reasons I chose to model that particular example).

IMO worth considering the shape of the model as well as the colour scheme. I have a yellow fuselages, yellow translucent wing Extra Slim Twin and its a total nightmare in bright sunlight because at lots of orientations it could be in many more!  Its made worse as its very aerobatic and I tend to fly it low to the ground as its easier to see! 

Single dark colour on underside and two opposing colours (light and dark) on the upper surface in one or two stripes does it for me.

PS sunrise type stripes seem to work if they are very bold and you want a sense of direction of travel.