YT / ESM Hurricane - Laser 200 in-line twin

Oh yes, I'm liking these ideas, especially as I will probably need some nose weight although not necessarily as much as had been fitted to this one - a nose ring of lead weighing in at 720g (1.5lbs)!!!!! Being epoxied in place it was somewhat difficult to remove, I used acetone which helped soften it then this morning I gave it a few good hits with a large hammer and out it popped.

At a local RAF station in the late 70's I attended a squadron celebration day, this was not a public event but some of us local air enthusiasts were allowed entry.  It was a very warm day and seeking some shade sat under the wing of the BoB Hurricane.

Got chatting to an older gent also in need of cooling.  He told of his time working at Hawkers starting as an apprentice, his first job carving the block of wood [ balsa ?] that made the ventral fairing by the tail wheel.

Later he was involved with the attachment of some large lumps of cast lead to the engine bearers to attain the correct CG. This was mainly with early marks, later versions with more weighty/powerful versions of the merlin and variable pitch props not so much.

Some progress has been made but here are some shots of it showing the fuel proofer (?) finish that I need to remove

D35EB42E-3DC4-4132-891C-F7A8A5F007EC.thumb.jpeg.155ab092f74d62de44902d8d421a6980.jpeg

DD37CD85-DDC7-4867-995F-FCB27EE48A26.thumb.jpeg.34516dd883a2f765c5306e8057c31dbd.jpeg

0051B658-FF99-44CC-BCA5-2C8D19A40DB7.thumb.jpeg.533061f45c1fa6039307906813531ace.jpeg

A6E599B6-5A2D-47E4-AA17-1F90B1F150FF.thumb.jpeg.b965102a60d7b1b78a0042af8fdf9854.jpeg

E097030E-E8B2-4A1B-873D-D8F3E4DBB9FA.thumb.jpeg.af56b280c04bc34ec538e980dada2bd9.jpeg

I’ve tried sanding down and acetone on some surfaces and whilst it’s a slow process it is working!

3FCFA877-BA39-4417-A907-7F97696DBEF4.thumb.jpeg.f781f4eab16fe947fe986d148d3ac30b.jpeg

C5B6ED3F-9CC3-49B0-B08D-F530EBBFB157.thumb.jpeg.392fe6b00becd2f76e95c2b686cfa1cc.jpeg

It does exposes areas that need some work!

83ABBBF5-0C3C-4FD8-966E-A151BE5DF98F.thumb.jpeg.0ace94459c176d9d7f4618878a279295.jpeg

Canopy is in a bit of a state, not too sure what to do about it yet

D04F0C3E-7498-40ED-8B1A-932F66872314.thumb.jpeg.17eab381de1476f6039db433b1e9dcc8.jpeg

Nice pilot 

B66EA9D5-241F-4315-990F-D2F659E484A2.thumb.jpeg.71823942896aa75e33c67c183d02732e.jpeg

At some point flat hinges have been replaced with (badly fitted) Robart hinges, they’ve got to go and surfaces fitted a lot closer!

6AA1A7C6-3721-4851-BE72-DD00DA25341A.thumb.jpeg.e718b64e62fcd9a8911e7000812778b9.jpeg

3F6B9A78-D023-4235-B787-020DAED5E89E.jpeg

Elevators are off, including the joining wire - I don't want an exposed elevator control horn so I'm going to silver solder an internal horn to the wire and probably run pull pull to it.

IMG_6903.thumb.jpeg.f46aa12efeb7544a5ecbb8f5e8c407c2.jpeg

Started rubbing down the fuse. Inspired by Jon Harper's P51 refurb I sort of like it like this, dry brush some aluminium paint onto the forward white highlights?

IMG_6906.thumb.jpeg.90be9a120d5f41a942b2c584451d2e0d.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Canopy is in a bit of a state, not too sure what to do about it yet

Ron,

The DB Hurricane is 88" span so close to your 82", and they sell spare canopies for £17.50. That might be the easiest option for you.

Brian.

Edited by RottenRow

I am having mustang flashbacks...and my Spitfire XIV. 

Rubbing down is my nightmare. 

On the canopy front you might also be able to try the seagull canopy if they have not deformed it too much. if not the DB is a good idea

TBH I ordered both the canopy and cowl from Sarik on Wednesday as they have a 'Jubilee discount' in operation.

Didn't think about the Seagull one Jon but a good idea!

I don't mind the rubbing down as it gives me a new starting point but it's knowing how far to go and will, to a certain extent, depend upon the colour scheme for finishing, leave it as is or a completely new one. As I said above, I'm very tempted to use what I've done as the basis for the weathering to the existing paintwork, to see if it works I might try some dry brushing tomorrow.

How about using NACA ducts either side of the lower cowling at the front.  A bit of careful painting might make them almost invisible.

Great looking pilot by the way.  Apart that is from the flying gloves.  I don't think green kid leather gloves were used until the tactical helicopter guys wanted them.  Then the fighter pilots objected as you could not see hand signals made with green gloves.  So, they went back to pale coloured gloves for fighter pilots.

Edited by Peter Jenkins
Added info on pilot

For consideration. 

Another customer had fitted a 200i into a black horse 80 inch spit. He set up the cooling so that the only air exit was through open scale exhausts. On his first flight he recorded cylinder temperatures under 100'c on both pots and everything went swimmingly. 

So it may be possible to cool the engine without using the fuselage tunnel method. In truth i would still recommend the tunnel as its not really possible to have too much cooling and its very hard to modify it after the fact. But, in theory it looks like it can be done without that work. Its up to you if you want to take the chance on it

A bit like my Mustang, the cooling through one set of exhaust stubs really seems to work. However I will still be forming a hole in the firewall for the hot air to escape through as I don’t want any turbulence within the cowl upsetting the carbs (as in the Sportster). But I’m not going to bother forming a duct to the rear of the wing, I’m just going to have some holes through the wing into the belly rad moulding and will hope that neg pressure (lip on rear edge of moulding) will extract the air from within the fuse. There is also a hole in the rear tailwheel cover that will also help.

Hi Ron

Now that you have the pilot out of the office, it is quite clear that his gloves are the right colour and also shows what a great pilot figure you have there.  Funny thing is that when I look at the photo that triggered my comment, the gloves do look green - perhaps it's just my eyes!  Eyebrows look fine to me!

Has he got a handle bar moustache under his mask? ?

I shall look forward to seeing him fly the Hurri when you have it airworthy.

Peter

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Maybe Jon could make a heat sink for these engines

With baffling in place and airflow channeling, I don’t believe these are necessary.

1 hour ago, Peter Jenkins said:

I shall look forward to seeing him fly the Hurri when you have it airworthy

Maybe a bit of a wait Peter as there’s a lot of work I want to do first!

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Maybe Jon could make a heat sink for these engines, or even just an aluminium spacer plate between the cylinder head and rocker cover?.

I could, but I cannot provide a solution that will fit every model under the sun and i certainly dont plan on becoming a design consultant in individual projects and start making custom one off parts. 

This engine is aimed at experienced enthusiasts who can sort this stuff out themselves. While i will clearly support the product, its an advanced piece of kit for advanced users and i will expect a certain level of technical understanding and skill from the people who buy it.  This is made clear to those who enquire about the engine and some have said they do not feel the engine is for them, which is perfectly fine and they can have a 180 single instead. I know the core engine design is sound from a cooling point of view, so my work is done and it is the responsibility of the customer to make it happen in their specific model. The only reason i mentioned my other customers Spitfire is because its still a learning curve and my current recommendations are deliberately conservative. 

8 hours ago, Graeme White said:

I think the paint as is looks great, I wouldn't do much more if it was mine. But that's a combination of low standards and laziness on my part. From a distance I think it'll look just right.

There’s a lot of me that is thinking the same thing Graeme, a nicely ‘worn’ look.

7 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I have the ESM Stuka and the firewall is badly fixed, what's yours like ?.

I’m surprised at that Paul as my experience of ESM models is that they are extremely well built. The firewall on this one is rock solid, shame it’s going to be cut out!