Hangar 9 Ultracote / sand -key / paint ?

Martyn

Hi

Picked up this Hangar 9 unfinished F6F Hellcat, the covering needs a bit of a tidy up but everything else seems sound.

Question

With ultracoat, can I key down the gloss finish & add paint via my iwata airbrush? If yes, does the type of paint matter as I have a vast collection of water based acrylic Mr Hobby / tamiya?

Rgds

Mart

20220605_155600.jpg

20220605_155443.jpg

You might need a plastic primer to increase adhesion .Its usually clear then follow with a coat of normal primer for the paint your using. Be aware any paints add weight especially at the rear of the model affecting CG . You can buy aerosols of plastic primer from car paint suppliers or Halford etc. Test on a small area first before committing to the whole airframe. 

Adhesion enhancers like the old Solarfilm Prymol only work on the original Solarfilm made from Polypropelene and won't work on the newer polyester coverings . The auto plastic primer works on a range of plastics used in car manufacture .

Edited by Engine Doctor