Bending thick U/C wire?

I'd steer clear of heat treating it. Unless you're well versed in the dark arts of metallurgy you won't have a precisely controlled temperature of cooling process.

Cold form it on a wire bender - K&S mighty wire bender will go up to 6.5mm (4SWG?).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martin collins 1 said:

Investing in a wire bender for two bends seems a bit extravagant if i can do it another way?

That's what I thought, about six or seven models ago.

Of course if you already have a big enough vice, you just need a former to bend it round using a hammer. The former will need to be pretty solid though.

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 1

Why not ask on the forum if there is anybody near you with a wire bender, or a small engineering company. It would only take them about 10 minutes.

Using 2 hammers and a vice sounds like a recipe for an accident to me, trying to bend a round thing around a round thing just using brute force !

Edited by kevin b

Have only bent 4mm, but I found that a piece of wood (pine for this size) acted as a good former, the square edge it crushed to give me a nice but fairly tight radius without splitting the wire. Obviously a fresh position on the wood for each bend -it came out consistently.  

15 hours ago, Matt Carlton said:

Some rather dismissive replies on this one it seems. I thought that the purpose of the forum was to offer guidance and advice rather than try to belittle people for asking for it. 

Not really, 9 responses offering advice and 1 slightly sarcastic one!

On 08/06/2022 at 11:32, Nigel R said:

I'd steer clear of heat treating it. Unless you're well versed in the dark arts of metallurgy you won't have a precisely controlled temperature of cooling process.

Cold form it on a wire bender - K&S mighty wire bender will go up to 6.5mm (4SWG?).

When I worked at a school in the Craft, Design and Technology dept a pupil was making an undercarriage for a camera plane (My design).

The teacher bent his under carriage up for him using red heat.The result was about as soft as wet spaghetti..

Look on Google for wire benders.There are masses there of all different types and also how to make your own.

• Like 1

The springiness of piano wire depends entirely on its heat treatment. Being fairly high carbon steel, cooling from red-heat slowly will soften it so it won't spring any longer and just bend and stay bent. Cooling it quickly such quenching it in water will result in it becoming glass-hard and it will shatter when stressed. During manufacture the heat treatment is a tightly controlled process so any attempt to do this at home will undoubtedly result in failure. 

Bend cold and solder, don't weld or braze.

• Like 2