Setting up a Gyro for the first time- Futaba user

Skippers Walker

I have recently acquired a Futaba GYA 460 Gyro for possible use in an E-Flight Turbo Timber Evolution. The Gyro instructions clearly describe the options to plug either a  "single aileron"  or "two aileron" model. The Timber's wiring loom for the ailerons are wired to a single plug for the receive., I guess that this is rather like joining respective ailerons via a Y lead?

The question really is: Which option do I use when wiring in the Gyro, the single or two aileron method? Might sound rather dumb but I'm a new recruit to using Gyros! 

Any helpful comment will be welcome please?

SW

Your logic is correct Skip. Ail 1

Mount as per instructions, Arrow forward on the C of G

Mount in a Pre - Trimmed model, or it will work overtime.

Set the Gain low to start, about half of the full turn of each pot.

Enjoy flying in wind when no one else dare to up!

Edited by Denis Watkins
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps the next question is which stability option you pick.

If you are a beginner then pick the 'stab' mode. This limits the amount of bank/pitch/yaw you can achieve and will return the plane to straight and level if you simply let go of the sticks but for it to achieve this it is important that is set up correctly so the gyro knows exactly what 'straight and level' is.

The other mode is 'rate' stability where it slows the rate of change of bank/pitch/yaw but does not limit by how much the plane can deviate. In other words the plane becomes more docile and is less upset by gust turbulence but it remains aerobatic. This mode requires no special set up.

If you have access to a suitable 3 position(?) switch it is a good idea to include an 'off' state so you can compare how the plane flies with and without the gyro in operation. It can be very instructive!

Finally do not set the gyro sensitivity to more than 50% at least initially. If the sensitivity is too high the gyro compensation can 'over shoot' causing the plane to self oscillate possibly in all 3 planes at once.? 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reassuring comments and advice guys, I'll proceed with a careful set up as per your information and suggestions. I've bee flying R/C for a long time now but really restricted to many years of Thermal and Slope soaring activity. Power flying as such is relatively new to me, hence the slight hesitancy in just going 'full on' with the sticks straight away! The Turbo Timber is something of an indulgence on my part as I usually build from plans and kits. At  78 I need all the help I can muster to keep my confidence and a modest skill level at an acceptable point! I'm fortunate in belonging to a very small group of local fliers who have encouraged me towards putting a propeller on some of my models now. Slopes get steeper and towlines harder to tug these days for me.

Take care and best wishes

Chris (SW)

• Like 2