Laser 180, 30cc???

tigerman

Looking at the specs i would say the 180 would probably be ok for the spitfire but will not be enough for the P47 (i assume you mean P47? when you say thunderbolt). 

The spit is lighter and would be ok if you can keep the weight to about 17-18lbs. A friend has a similar black horse Spit and it is very light at 16lbs. In fact its so light we are going to add bricks to it as its unpleasant to fly/land as its just too floaty. Its also an awful warbird trainer (its intended purpose) if it flits around like a butterfly. So anyway if you built it to 18lbs it would fly well but not be punching holes in the sky. 

The P47 on the other hand is a different beast as its 22lbs and its basically a whale with wings. P47's at 80 inch are really big just due to their overall bulk and for this reason you need more power with a 300 class engine being my recommendation. My P39 is 80 inch and 21lbs, and my Sea Fury 80 inch and 23lbs. These fly on 300 and 360v's respectively and perform very well. The are over powered in level flight but you need the power for decent size loops. 

Just to cover the bases seagull do a P40 warhawk of the same size and i think it too would just about be ok with a 180 fitted. Ron here on the forum had a laser 240 in his but the model didnt last long as it was apparently a bit of a handful. This is no surprise to me given the experience i had with their hurricane. 

4 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Ron here on the forum had a laser 240 in his but the model didnt last long as it was apparently a bit of a handful. This is no surprise to me given the experience i had with their hurricane. 

Too true, it described a beautiful wing over from take off and planted itself on the full size’s hangar roof next to our pits! It was also very poorly made, the firewall pulling out when I was ground running it!

Flying my 19.2lb H9 Spitfire, yesterday - Laser 180 using Laser 5% low oil fuel and an 18x8 G-Sonic prop.

Four excellent flights with plenty of scale aerobatics - thoroughly enjoyable.

My YT 82" Hurricane weighs in at 19lbs and also has a Laser 180, also good to fly scale aerobatics but not quite as sprightly.

Just remember to keep the speed up, full power when doing aerobatics but ok on lower throttle for fly-bys and show-offs!

Steve.

2007121047_Spitfire7.thumb.jpg.721fdbc9d334b293bc83c0c7d55f95e4.jpg

• Like 5