FPV on Fixed Wing - Good Place to Start

I have recently bought an FMS Kingfisher which has an alternative canopy that will take a camera for FPV.

Is there a good guide or video that describes what you need to fit out a foamy like the Kingfisher, Tundra, Timber with a goggle-based FPV.

I get that I need a camera, transmitter and goggles (and some goggles don’t include a receiver which needs to be bought separately).

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heather

Thanks, yes I'm aware about the need for a spotter.

To be honest the price of the goggles might kill the idea - I suspect it is just a whim, sure I'd like to try it but I suspect I might grow board of it - the camera and the transmitter are reasonably priced but the goggles might make it too expensive.

Oddly enough I tried this a few years ago on a whim!.

After gathering all the kit together, it turned out to be a total non starter.

Despite my best efforts I could never obtain a good focus with the goggles, plus I suffer easily from motion sickness which showed its ugly head.

Luckily, managed to sell the lot at cost.

Its a great idea, but for me at least it would have been dangerous at best!.

Good luck.

I am very lucky to fly a top end FPV Fixed Wing provided by a close flying mate at our patch.

It is brilliant, and worth every penny.

As you found, the Goggles are paramount in the experience, and agree with Ron, give it a try to see if you take to it.

The " in cockpit " experience pays you back big time.

I've got a set of the low end Fat Sharks used in conjunction with the low cost all in one camera/transmitters. Fitted it to several models, from small flying wings all the way to my 1/5th scale T-21. Good fun even if the video quality of this set up is way off the high end systems. I was given a go on a club mates quad with the DJI digital googles, wow, the quality was fantastic.  

If you put a wanted ad out I'll bet you could pick up a set of Fat Shark V2s for a very reasonable cost (from people upgrading) and fit a low cost camera/video Tx and give it a go.

48 minutes ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

DJI digital googles, wow, the quality was fantastic.  

Yes, a word or warning here, do not try the DJI goggles first otherwise everything else will be a disappointment!

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

Yes, a word or warning here, do not try the DJI goggles first otherwise everything else will be a disappointment!

I have tried  a few Dji goggles I I just can't get on with them, so back to my "Goggles two" a quick look contrast needs adjusting so don't slag off the image,,,,

Don't buy anything till you have tried them out !

FPV goggles image (2).jpg

FPV goggles image (1).jpg