Gloss matt paint

I've just applied a coat of Humbrol matt black #33 paint by brush to the cockpit area of a primed glassed fuselage.  It's dried very glossy.  Not a big problem because I can matt it down with glasspaper, but any ideas why it's not matt in the first place?

I recall this happening before in the dim and distant past, and I think my only solution then was to buy a new tine of paint.  But this time the tin is only a month or so old.

I had the same experience Allan, with what looks like Humbrol Tins sold as Matt and drying gloss.

They look like Humbrol labels, but I sent 2 tins to the manufacturer and they confirmed the paint was not their formula.

Nothing is sacred to someone somewhere making a few quid copying anything, they even copy £1 Duracell batteries.

Thanks for your responses.

I suppose anything's possible these days fake-wise.  I've noticed my recent purchases no longer have the lids painted the colour of the contents, or embossed with the colour code and gloss/matt/satin description, but have a plain lid with a descriptive sticker on it.  But I assume that's manufacturing economies by Humbrol.

This particular paint was applied straight out of the tin, so no thinner (not alcohol).  I guess not scraping the bottom of the tin while stirring is the most likely answer.  I do have some Humbrol matt clear varnish, but I'll sand it down a little to matt it, rather than adding another coat.

I have 3 of these so called Humbrol paints with paper labels on them, they did supply some 20 odd years ago with colours that didn't sell but they were ok, I

got 2 pots of N° 99 mat yellow for my ME 109 both tins are 'lumpy' so impossible to spray them but brushing does get rid of the small lumps, the tins are silver with only paper tickets on them whereas the older tins were all painted i did 'borrow' one from my Scottish friend but identical, so also binned,,,

I 'zapped' the bar code ticket on the bottom and it recognised it as Humbrol N° 99

I just mailed [email protected] to see what they have to say,,,

DSC00134-2048.jpg

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
Mailed humbrol

Well, I matted it down with a fine polishing stick this afternoon, but the primer coat then showed through in places.  So I then gave the tin a serious scrape and stir with a piece of piano wire.  There was no obvious 'gunk' in the bottom, but I then painted on another coat nevertheless, and it's dried matt.

My tins look just like in your photo, Paul, so are probably genuine.  So I'm assuming that those who mentioned stirring were right, even though there was no obvious matt-inducing material when I did that.