Edge TX Question

Afternoon all,

Just getting to grips with my new TX16, and have a question.

I have set up flaps onto three-way switch SB, but they don't work how I want.

How do I set this so that the fully up position is the start of the travel? At the moment, the travel start seems to be the centre position. This isn't ideal because it makes it hard to set the fully closed point, and then the flap position for each switch position. (I can trim the flaps so fully up is indeed fully up, but this changes where the 2 other flap positions are; If I then change the volume (throw) to accommodate this, it changes the end point, and so the flaps need to be trimmed again!!)

I'm sure it's easy, but as yet I can't work it out...

Thanks

Graham

I would sort this out old school way.

Set the switch where you want the switch set when flaps are closed, fit the servo horn / pushrod assembly accordingly so the flaps are closed.

Then set your 2 points of drop. If they move the wrong way, reverse the outputs.

As a certain Meercat would say - Simples!

I'll try that Ron, thank you.

Andy, that's not that easy for various reasons. Firstly as I'm migrating from a FF9 set up, the pushrods are where they are. If I need to adjust end points, it will have to be via the radio.

Secondly, it's defining those 2 positions that I'm struggling with. I can set the 'fully down' position easily, but the middle position is at 'servo neutral'. If I could work out how to tell the radio exactly where I want the 3 switch positions to be, it would be a solved problem!

Ron's solution my work using the offset to change the middle position and the maximum and minimum setting to define the other two.

I did also try setting a custom curve so the output went from 0 to 100 rather than 100-0-100. This works, but halves the available servo travel!

It's all good fun

Graham

Thanks Mike, I think I've got there! 

Complicated by trying to see if each flap was moving the same amount. I had a logic 'fail' that I've now resolved (I like how the functions are referred, it's very logical but not how it's done in an old Futaba!). 

My model is now just about set up. I haven't found the transition from an older style OS to Edge at all bad. 

• Like 1

One other question; is it possible to create a timer that accumulates flight times? I'd like it to work similar to the throttle on timer, but not reset when the TX is switched off. My old FF9 had a timer that simply recorded the amount of time the TX was switched on with a particular model selected. Not accurate, but not a bad log of a model's hours.

Thanks again

Graham

Edited by Graham Davies 3
spelling!

I asked a similar question a while ago, as I wanted to accumulate total flight time and number of flight times for my DLG.  I got lots of suggestions but most strayed into LUA territory, with logging, and were far beyond what I wanted to invest time-wise.

If you get a solution, I'd be interested - I log the number f flights for each of my planes in MS Access.  Initially I did this as an easy start to learning Access and databases, then got quite anal about costs (cost per flight, cost spent as % of initial outlay etc.), but now update it for curiosity purposes....

10 hours ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

One other question; is it possible to create a timer that accumulates flight times? I'd like it to work similar to the throttle on timer, but not reset when the TX is switched off. My old FF9 had a timer that simply recorded the amount of time the TX was switched on with a particular model selected. Not accurate, but not a bad log of a model's hours.

Thanks again

Graham

Yes, pretty simple - just configure the timer as persistent (assuming Edge is identical to OpenTX, which I would by 99% confident it is in something as basic as timers). OpenTX-Uni has you covered…

http://open-txu.org/glossary/timer/

23 minutes ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

Ron, the logging may be a useful thing. Where do I enable, and more importantly, view it?

This should help on OpenTX-Uni - it is all about tacking via a GPS sensor, but all telemetry logs are triggered the same way...

http://open-txu.org/home/special-interests/telemetry/setting-up-google-earth-companion/

image.png.a397c5d829c801f2215d2a918823a662.png

So in summary, if you prefer the written word to watching Youtube when it comes to setting up your TX, I would always start with OpenTX-Uni or Mike Shellim's excellent OpenTX site, and Oscar Liang is also worth bookmarking. However, finding the content on his site is best done via Google; for some reason he doesn't seem to have an inbuilt search function. 

Edited by MattyB

11 hours ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

Where do I enable, and more importantly, view it?

Global Functions:

IMG_6944.thumb.jpeg.1771ee4427f29de7b767a09ec3b3f98c.jpeg

You will then end up with lots of log files in the Logs folder (OpenTx) 

IMG_6945.thumb.jpeg.c528f12aa552bc868c0f21a0eb44488a.jpeg

I tend to use Companion to view them as it tends to be easier than the Lua script on the Tx.

Hello Ron,

I have just started to dive into logging as I had an issue yesterday.

Here we get into the area of acute IT frustration...

I can't get the Edge TX companion to work on my 2013 Mac. As with many things Mac, you don't get much help. I can download the loader, and the app exists, but won't run. Nothing really happens when you click on it. 

I thought I might try the OpenTX companion, but I'm stuffed if I can see where to download it. The download page has a million links, but none that seem to be 'OpenTX companion'...

Any ideas?

I can really see how people find this an unnecessary pain...

Graham

19 minutes ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

Hello Ron,

I have just started to dive into logging as I had an issue yesterday.

Here we get into the area of acute IT frustration...

I can't get the Edge TX companion to work on my 2013 Mac. As with many things Mac, you don't get much help. I can download the loader, and the app exists, but won't run. Nothing really happens when you click on it. 

I thought I might try the OpenTX companion, but I'm stuffed if I can see where to download it. The download page has a million links, but none that seem to be 'OpenTX companion'...

Any ideas?

Key point - I recommend you bookmark and use this thread in RCGroups for EdgeTX questions, the Devs post their regularly and are the best people to help you with this type of issue.

I can't help directly with Edge I'm afraid as I haven't yet used it myself (though it is supposed to work I strongly suspect Mac support/troubleshooting will be low down their list of priorities). However, OpenTX Companion downloads are not hard - go to the OpenTX downloads homepage...

https://www.open-tx.org/downloads

...click on whichever version you want (most people just go with the latest prod release):

image.png.d0526adf7587000127edfc6b5f00c978.png

...then scroll to the bottom for the download links:

image.png.a674cecd553058acb8ef668fdd8d84a6.png

Edited by MattyB

Thanks Matty,

Got that far, but the app also does nothing. I don't know if it's a mac version thing, but I followed the steps on the openTX university until I got to the bit where it says 'congratulations! You have downloaded openTX companion. You can be proud of yourself'. All well and good, but it doesn't do anything. Nada. Zip. Zilch...

Got two pretty but rather ornamental icons...

image.thumb.png.3c8f4141be29ae2fbe4b28e8bc066778.png

I don't have any Mac knowledge so can't really help further - I suggest you use the relevent RCGroups threads as there will be a lot more experts on this there However, from this thread I found with a quick Google it does seem most likely it's a problem assicated with your version of Mac OS potentially being incompatible with the latest Companion software...

https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7690

Just checking where the problem is, you’ve downloaded and installed it but you can’t run it, is that right? If it is then go into security just after you’ve tried to run it and see if there are any messages.

Edited by Ron Gray

53 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Just checking where the problem is, you’ve downloaded and installed it but you can’t run it, is that right? If it is then go into security just after you’ve tried to run it and see if there are any messages.

Correct Ron. As far as I can tell, it's installed.

If I then click or double click the icon, nowt happens, and there are no security messages