Damage to models

John  Tee

Well having asked an ex policeman about this he confirmed my opinion that the driver of a motor vehicle  is responsible for the damage done by the vehicle.   It would seem the driver must pay for the damage if his insurers wont. ( it could be that they don't cover you if you are off road )

My opinion is that it is quite important for the club to try to get a negotiated settlement -  any court action etc might have repercussions for the club.   The club might even lose the field if the landowner gets involved or just hears there is a problem.   Don't let authorities get involved!   Find a club member who will repair or build a new wing and reward him!

KC we have advised it might not be in anyones interest to get the law involved for exactly that reason. It has quietened down at the moment so I  can't update. Our landlord is very good and we don't  want to upset him. Been on site for too many years.

John

I’m not at all sure that the RTA applies to a private field - although it does apply to anywhere with public access such as a deserted supermarket car park etc. 

As such, any accidental damage claim is likely to be regarded as a civil matter so the club should simply advise the involved parties that they should sort the matter out off site and make it clear that the club won’t take sides or tolerate any bad behaviour at the field. 

4 hours ago, kc said:

Well having asked an ex policeman about this he confirmed my opinion that the driver of a motor vehicle  is responsible for the damage done by the vehicle.   It would seem the driver must pay for the damage if his insurers wont. ( it could be that they don't cover you if you are off road )

My opinion is that it is quite important for the club to try to get a negotiated settlement -  any court action etc might have repercussions for the club.   The club might even lose the field if the landowner gets involved or just hears there is a problem.   Don't let authorities get involved!   Find a club member who will repair or build a new wing and reward him!

I doubt a policeman, current or ex, has any more than layman expertise in the situation described in this thread. 

My opinion is pretty much the same as Martin's. 

The fact that John mentions in his last post that "It has quietened down at the moment" may be a sign that tempers have cooled & the two parties have (reluctantly?) come to see each other's POV.

I suppose clubs need a rule that covers this situation and particularly mid air losses!   With people spending ever increasing amounts on ARTF foam models there are likely to be expensive models (possibly unrepairable ) knocked out in a mid air by simple repairable balsa models.  The old idea that mid airs are  nobodys fault and each repairs their own model may no longer work!  

Maybe a rule that you bring a model along to the field at your own risk?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kc said:

I suppose clubs need a rule ................................................. 

I certainly thought that's how it operates - otherwise where does it end?

" You're to blame for me crashing because you made a sudden noise which distracted me".

Can't be right.

Kim

1 hour ago, kc said:

I suppose clubs need a rule that covers this situation and particularly mid air losses! 

I have seen a few mid air's and a couple of planes walked on ( my Stuka tail in the 80's)it's  your plane, your risk, your loss, it's a risk as you say so just get on with it life is to short,,,

• Like 1