The soulless model?

On seeing this thread title and before even clicking on it, I accurately predicted some of the totally predictable comments. 

Then I took a look at my list of models to try and find one of these soulless models and really struggled. I rather like flying model aeroplanes and I get a buzz out of every single model aeroplane that I fly. It's meant to be fun and it is.

However taking the OP's definition of models that one might consider a bit "meh" and not connected with, the only candidates I found had one thing in common. Instead of having propellers on the front or rear, they had propellers on the top. They comprise a wee Blade helicopter and two quadcopters. I bet they don't have twenty flights between them. The Mavic Pro was bought for the purposes of doing a particular aerial photoshoot and I've flown it seven times in five years, including two test flights- though to be fair my son has flown it several more times. It's a superb tool for photography, but it definitely fits the "meh" label when it comes to being a flying model.

Purely my personal experience...

Those models that do everything a bit worse than other similar models without bringing anything new to the party. I had a 46" span biplane I heavily modified from a plan. I loved the build, but the flight performance was 'ok', and it didn't tick my 'biplane cuteness' box in the air. It got less and less flight action until I deemed it too big to warrant the space it took!

For me now though, I have far more personal connection with models where I have had a significant input in their conception. I'm on the start of my 'own design' journey, and I definitely have a stronger connection to these models. Oddly though, I'm also more critical of them so feel less attached and move them on if I feel their space would be better filled with another project.

The ones I have less attachment for are the 'mass market kit builds'. I have enjoyed building from kits, but nowadays these hold less appeal. I have a 30 year old acrowot in the loft that seems like a good idea every year or so, but usually ends up back in the loft. No idea why, but I suspect it's because it is a similar size to my warbirds, and they just spark my desire a little more. I guess the WOTs in general are my 'meh' models. And through no fault of their own...

Similarly with models acquired ready built*. As with many others, a bargain is always tempting, but somehow they are never fully 'mine' and are too 'someone else's' to bond with and too 'not mine' to take aerial liberties with, which would always ultimately resolve the issue of whether they stay or go, one way or another!

*There's a big exception to this. Peter Miller has kindly put a couple of his models my way, and these are very much ingrained in my fleet.

Graham

It's interesting, so thankyou for all the comments. In thinking about this, I think I struggle more with rtf or artf models from the perspective of personality. Possibly because there is nothing of me in them, whereas with an o/d, plan or even a kit, I have invested time into the creation. 

I recently bought a WOT4 Foam E and whilst it is a very nice model, it flies nicely, does everything it should, it just doesn't inspire me in the way that some other, and possibly less capable, models have. 

On of my favourite models, ever, was an "LS Special" built from a free plan by Peter Miller. 

Small, simple, but flew wonderfully well and had a very definite character that just begged me to fly it. 

1 minute ago, Wingman said:

Interesting thread title. I have one plane that, when I fly it, I always make the comment that "it's got no soul" , and that is a Ripmax Easystreet 2. I think I make the comment because I find it boring un-interesting to fly.?

Put a few ounces of lead in the tail; that will certainly stop it being boring...

It may also stop it being a model!

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Helicopters leave me cold, but I do like me an autogyro.  Go, as they say, figure.

I don't get hung up on i.c vs. electric - my most frequently flown models are a WOT4 Foam-e (my 4th) and a Precedent/SLEC Funfly (3rd).  And I can't agree that J60s are either 'meh' or limited in performance.  Mine is over 20 years old, has an FS40 surpass up front and it loops, rolls, stall turns and flies inverted with ease.  The rolling circle is a bit shabby, but that's probably me...

The only planes I've felt really 'meh' about were both H9 ARTFs - a 1/4-scale Cub and a 1/3-scale Pitts.  The Pitts was sold on and the Cub is a hangar queen which needs to go - no serious offer refused, pm me for pics and details ? 

I can understand your fright (fear ? ) for Helicopters, they are noisy, smokey and not like planes they don't fly themselves,

but that's the fun of them, like IC powered warbirds, the more sweat and tears that you put into them and the more difficult they are to fly the higher the satisfaction of flying them,,,

Back to the workshop the clubs trainers battery's are now charged,,,?

4 hours ago, Wingman said:

Interesting thread title. I have one plane that, when I fly it, I always make the comment that "it's got no soul" , and that is a Ripmax Easystreet 2. I think I make the comment because I find it boring un-interesting to fly.?

Stick a higher voltage battery in it, that gives it character and makes it extremely ‘interesting’!

Edited by Ron Gray

5 hours ago, Matt Carlton said:

It's interesting, so thankyou for all the comments. In thinking about this, I think I struggle more with rtf or artf models from the perspective of personality. Possibly because there is nothing of me in them, whereas with an o/d, plan or even a kit, I have invested time into the creation. 

I recently bought a WOT4 Foam E and whilst it is a very nice model, it flies nicely, does everything it should, it just doesn't inspire me in the way that some other, and possibly less capable, models have. 

On of my favourite models, ever, was an "LS Special" built from a free plan by Peter Miller. 

Small, simple, but flew wonderfully well and had a very definite character that just begged me to fly it. 

We PUT our soul into into a model by building it, and some of us even scratch build them.

Most people prefer to put their wallet, and 'noise' into a model for everyone else to hear.

Ray. ?

Edited by eflightray
  • Like 2