OS 842 Muffler

Andy J

Thanks Jon, thread looks a lot finer than M3 on the nipple so will do a quick check with a spare nut and bolt just to be sure what I have before drilling out the silencer.

See M4 nipples are readily available on ebay so should be an easy fix.

Just had another look at the nipple and it does look as though it was a BA thread as it a lot finer than metric. Unfortunately went to use my micrometer only to find it dead so assume the battery has expired.

Suspect a replacement nipple will be cheaper than JB Weld Kevin its now just a matter of double checking the dimensions of what I have before doing any mod.

Found an old threaded nipple in my box of BA screws which seems to fit fine so have continued to play with the engine which leads me to a second problem.

Whilst running the engine which took some time to find a decent needle setting noticed a few bubbles of fuel forming around the cylinder head joint so I stopped the engine and removed the 6 screws. Inspection of the head underside shows it to be a  little tarnished in places but did notice no gasket is used. So the query is should there be one or do I just need to run some emery paper over the head to remove any minor high spots.

Would not be happy using a grinding paste unless I did a full strip down as there would be a good chance some paste would get into the rest of the engine.

Have two more OS 20''s coming next week so will see how they run before any further remedial work on my current engine.

Thanks for the link Nigel but don't like buying goods from the US given I have been hit by high postage and import costs in the past.

Do have some litho plate so will give that a try on my low power laser cutter to see if it will at least mark it out to allow cutting out using hand tools.

Yes should have a thin ali head shim/ gasket on the OS 20 . If the recess in the head is very shiny then it has a gasket wedged in there. Removing the gasket and annealing will often cure a slight leak unless the head has been tightened down unevenly or by a gorilla and distorted. If that's the case then it got to be replaced or if you have a scrap liner ground to a good fit. 

Over the years I have seen engines with all sorts of "mods" and gaskets fitted . One was a Frog 500 with a head gasket cut from a bicycle inner tube ! And the Frog doesn't need a gasket . 

Please don't waste time with paper gasket on head. Cut one from litho and annealed before fitting. 

Tried using my laser cutter on litho plate but as I expected it did not even leave a mark so may well take you up on your offer Paul. 

Afraid I am no longer visiting France for work so you will have to drop the items in on your next visit.

Did work in an Architects Office for about 4 years but blowed if I can now find all my old drawing board related items. 

2 minutes ago, Andy Joyce said:

Tried using my laser cutter on litho plate but as I expected it did not even leave a mark so may well take you up on your offer Paul. 

Afraid I am no longer visiting France for work so you will have to drop the items in on your next visit.

Did work in an Architects Office for about 4 years but blowed if I can now find all my old drawing board related items. 

I am not sure that I will be allowed in, French and English Nationality but my British passport has long gone so with all the paper work and Brexit I am not sure that Boris would grant me a visa, and with a Diesel  the French "Greens" don't help? I don't know if I will be allow to drive through the larger French towns, so sorry I won't be visiting in the future,

You could give your compass to one of those chaps travelling through France on their way to the coast. However on second thoughts sharp pointed instruments and rubber dinghies don't match.  Lifeboat may have to deal with a real emergency rather than a call we have got halfway come and pick us up.